Black Panther Becomes Fifth Marvel Film to Earn $1 Billion at Box Office

Black Panther Becomes Fifth Marvel Film to Earn $1 Billion at Box Office

Photo Credit: Disney/Marvel

Michael B. Jordan as Killmonger, and Chadwick Boseman as Black Panther

  • Added $66.5 million in China's opening weekend
  • Total stands at $1.078 billion
  • Civil War, Iron Man 3 within reach

Black Panther has crossed $1 billion at the global box office, becoming the fifth Marvel film to do so after The Avengers, Iron Man 3, Avengers: Age of Ultron, and Captain America: Civil War. The latest Marvel chapter – the first in the Marvel Cinematic Universe with an African-American in the lead – is now the 21st highest-grossing film of all-time, and should climb a few more steps given its performance over the weekend.

Black Panther opened in China on March 9, and grossed an estimated $66.5 million (Rs. 432.25 crore) over the weekend. International grosses for the March 9-11 weekend stood at an estimated $100 million, bringing the international total to $516.6 million (Rs. 3,357.9 crore), which accounts for 47.9 percent of Black Panther's total grosses. In the US, Black Panther added $41.1 million (Rs. 267.15 crore) in its fourth weekend, bringing the total to $562 million (Rs. 3,653 crore), accounting for the remaining 52.1 percent. Put together, that's $1.078 billion (Rs. 7,007.53 crore).

Black Panther Is the King of Marvel Movies

The domestic – international ratio of earnings for Black Panther tilts more favourably to US audiences, in comparison to the other $1-billion Marvel films, which makes sense since the film rests heavily on African-American culture. The international percentages for the four others are 59 percent or higher: The Avengers (59), Iron Man 3 (66.3), Age of Ultron (67.3), and Civil War (64.6).

Since its release, Black Panther has blown past most expectations. If the film can continue to perform strongly in the following weeks – in both the US and international markets such as China – it could potentially have a shot at crossing Captain America: Civil War and Iron Man 3, whose worldwide gross stand at $1.153 billion and $1.214 billion, respectively. The two Avengers films will be much tougher to crack: Age of Ultron is at $1.405 billion, while The Avengers leads with $1.518 billion.


For the latest tech news and reviews, follow Gadgets 360 on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News. For the latest videos on gadgets and tech, subscribe to our YouTube channel. If you want to know everything about top influencers, follow our in-house Who'sThat360 on Instagram and YouTube.

Redmi 5A Price in India Raised Rs. 5,999 Once Again as Rs. 1,000 Inaugural Discount Ends
Share on Facebook Gadgets360 Twitter Share Tweet Snapchat Share Reddit Comment google-newsGoogle News


Follow Us


© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2024. All rights reserved.
Trending Products »
Latest Tech News »