Netflix Adds $50 Million to Coronavirus Relief Fund for Production Workers

In March, Netflix announced it had established a $100 million fund to assist the hardest-hit workers.

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 18 April 2020 19:10 IST
Highlights
  • Bbrupt closures put thousands of cast and crew members out of work
  • It has established a $100 million fund to assist the hardest-hit workers
  • Netflix has provided assistance in the US, Canada, Britain, Italy, India

Film and TV production has been shut down around the world as people shelter at home

Netflix has increased the amount of money in its coronavirus emergency relief fund by $50 million, bringing the total for displaced production workers to $150 million, a company spokeswoman said on Friday.

Film and TV production has been shut down around the world as people shelter at home to help slow the spread of the novel coronavirus. The abrupt closures put hundreds of thousands of cast and crew members out of work.

In March, Netflix announced it had established a $100 million fund to assist the hardest-hit workers on its own productions and others in areas where Netflix has a large production base. ·Some of the money is being allocated through non-profit groups that are helping the industry through the coronavirus crisis.

The company so far has provided assistance in the United States, Canada, Britain, Italy, India, France, Mexico, Spain, Brazil, and the Netherlands.

Advertisement

Netflix on Friday also said it had made some documentary features and series, including Our Planet and Explained, available on the company's YouTube channel for free at the request of teachers.

The move comes as the coronavirus outbreak has forced educational institutions to shut down, and confined millions of students to their homes, compelling schools and colleges to tap virtual tools to keep the classes running.

Advertisement

The decision to make some content free on YouTube is a rare exception to Netflix's marketing strategy, which otherwise charges a monthly subscription fee from users to avail its services.

© Thomson Reuters 2020

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Netflix, Coronavirus
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Poco M8x 5G Will Launch in India in These Colour Options
  2. Samsung Galaxy S25 Price Increased by Up to Rs. 12,000
  3. Realme P4s 5G to Launch in India on August 26 With These Features
  4. BGMI Lite Pre-Registrations for Android Users to Open on August 25
  5. OnePlus 16 Specifications Leaked Online
  6. Vivo T5 Pro 5G Becomes Significantly More Expensive in India
  1. PlayStation Pulse Elevate Wireless Speakers Price, Features Revealed Ahead of November 12 Launch
  2. Telegram Users Could Get Personalised .gram Domains if ICANN Approves
  3. Bybit Says It Prevented Over $700 Million in Losses After $1.46 Billion Hack
  4. Samsung Galaxy S25 Price Hiked in India by Up to Rs. 12,000: Here’s How Much It Costs Now
  5. Control Resonant's Physical Release Delayed to October as Game Goes Gold
  6. Vivo's Android-17 Based OriginOS 7 Could Get Liquid Glass UI and More Customisation Options
  7. Nexo Australia Begins Offering Credit Lines Against Cryptocurrency Collateral
  8. WhatsApp Could Soon Let You Expand Photos to 9:16 Format on Android Using Meta AI
  9. Poco M8x 5G Colour Options, Durability Details and More Announced Ahead of India Launch
  10. OnePlus 16 Display Details Again Leaked Online; Tipped to Feature ColorOS 17
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.