China Regulator Said to Request Pause in New Game Applications to Clear Backlog

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 20 February 2019 13:41 IST

China's top content regulator has asked local authorities to stop submitting requests to monetise new video games while it processes a backlog of applications built up after a lengthy pause last year, three people with knowledge of the matter said.

The General Administration of Press and Publications (GAPP) issued the notice this week, the people said, indicating the impact on gaming stocks of the nine-month hiatus could continue and dulling hopes raised by the recent resumption of approvals.

The regulator's notice has not previously been reported.

Shares of industry leader Tencent Holdings, which were up 2.2 percent in morning trading, pared back gains to trade about 1 percent higher after the Reuters report was published. Shares of smaller players also slid.

Advertisement

China stopped approving the monetisation of new titles last March amid a regulatory body reshuffle triggered by growing criticism of games being violent and addictive, as well as concern over the increase in myopia among young people.

Gaming firms such as Tencent - China's most valuable listed company - were able to continue filing applications, building up a backlog. They could also distribute new titles but were unable to earn any income from them, such as through in-game purchases.

Advertisement

The regulator resumed processing applications in December, with industry insiders estimating at least 5,000 games await approval. In China, game companies file applications to local authorities which in turn submit them to the regulator.

"The regulator asked local authorities to stop submitting applications because there is too much of a backlog for it to deal with at the moment," said one of the people, whose company was informed about the matter by its local authority.

Advertisement

Game companies will still be able to file applications but they will no longer be passed on to the Beijing regulator while it deals with applications already in hand, said a second person.

The people declined to be identified as they were not authorised to speak with media on the matter.

GAPP and the Propaganda Department of the Communist Party of China, which oversees GAPP, did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The approval freeze dragged down shares in Tencent and wiped billions of dollars off its market value. Among titles for which Tencent is awaiting a licence to monetise is PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds Mobile, which industry insiders estimate could generate annual revenue of up to $1 billion.

The freeze has also hit many smaller companies that rely on a number of game releases each year.

The regulator approved 1,982 domestic and foreign online games during January-March last year before the freeze, government data showed. It approved 9,651 domestic and foreign online games in all of 2017.

It has approved 538 games since December.

© Thomson Reuters 2019

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: China, Video Games, Tencent
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Best Phones With 144Hz Display Under Rs. 30,000 in India
  2. Vivo X500 Pro Series Allegedly Spotted in the Wild Ahead of China Launch
  3. Vivo Announces Upcoming Launch of Vivo T5 5G in India
  1. MANTRA Halts Network Transactions Following Unspecified Incident
  2. Samsung Galaxy S26 FE Renders Leak Again, Suggesting Three Colour Options
  3. Poco X8 Power, Poco X8 India Launch Timeline, Key Features Leaked
  4. Xbox Series X25 Limited Edition Console Will Reportedly Cost EUR 899.99, Launch on November 27
  5. Bhutan Transfers 490 Bitcoin Worth $32.7 Million to Fresh Addresses
  6. Vivo X500 Pro Series Model Allegedly Spotted in the Wild Ahead of China Launch
  7. Qualcomm’s Upcoming Flagship Snapdragon Chipset Names Tipped Ahead of Launch
  8. Lava Virat V1 Pro 5G India Launch Date Confirmed, Key Specifications Leaked
  9. Vivo T5 5G India Launch Confirmed; Flipkart Availability, 3D Curved Display Teased
  10. AI Is Key Smartphone Buying Factor for 82 Percent of Indian Consumers, Shows Amazon Survey
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.