'Anonymous' Hackers Plead Guilty to Minor Charge in US for Cyber-Attacks

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 20 August 2014 09:15 IST
Four members of the hacking group Anonymous pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge on Tuesday after a judge had earlier questioned whether prosecutors had treated the defendants too harshly for their crimes.

The hackers, part of a group that gained notoriety for frequent cyber-battles with U.S. authorities, each pleaded guilty via telephone to one misdemeanor charge of conspiring to intentionally cause damage to a protected computer.

The charge carries a maximum of one year in prison and a fine of $100,000.

The four men along with nine others had been charged last October by the U.S. Attorney's office in the Eastern District of Virginia with a felony crime under which they could have faced a decade in prison.

Advertisement

Similar cases brought by the U.S. Attorney's office in San Jose were largely resolved through misdemeanor convictions with no jail time, and the federal judge overseeing the Virginia set of cases had asked why similar defendants were facing more severe punishment in his state.

Advertisement

"You've still got a disparity issue, and it's a serious one," U.S. District Judge Liam O'Grady told federal prosecutors on the case at a May hearing, according to a transcript of the proceedings.

Some of the defendants "have lived for the last three years under the gun of this investigation who otherwise have impeccable characters," O'Grady continued. "And from what I have seen right now, California got it right. And you ought to be thinking about it."

Advertisement

On Tuesday the four men - Phillip Simpson, Anthony Tadros, Thomas Bell and Geoffrey Commander - were allowed to call in their pleas to federal court in Virginia because the charge was a misdemeanor offense, O'Grady said.

O'Grady said it was the first plea he had handled by telephone.

Advertisement

Two other defendants in the case have already pleaded guilty to the same misdemeanor charge, and one more defendant is scheduled to change his plea in September. Six other suspected Anonymous hackers charged in the case are scheduled to go to trial in October.

A representative of the U.S. Attorney's office declined to comment on the case.

'Operation payback'
The change in the approach comes as the U.S. Justice Department has faced some criticism for aggressively pursuing a range of cyber cases, including pushing for lengthy prison terms even in instances when hackers had not profited from the conduct.

Internet activist Aaron Swartz committed suicide last year before going to trial for allegedly stealing millions of academic articles from a private database, a death Swartz' family blamed on "overzealous" prosecutors.

"There is a question of proportionality, in whether it makes sense to equate" crimes driven by political motivations as opposed to those motivated by greed and profit, said Hanni Fakhoury, a lawyer with the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

If protesters chain themselves to fences or trespass on private property, they may get citations or face misdemeanor charges, but rarely face felony convictions, said Fakhoury, who has counseled cybercrime defendants.

In testimony earlier this month before a House panel, the head of the Justice Department's criminal division, Leslie Caldwell, said prosecutors have been working hard to combat the threat of cybercrime. She said such activity has "increased dramatically over the last decade and caused enormous financial damage and innumerable invasions of Americans' privacy."

The Virginia case was over Anonymous' "Operation Payback," a group of 2010 attacks on music and movie industry websites allegedly launched in retaliation for the shutdown of file-sharing websites.

They used what are known as denial-of-service attacks to overwhelm websites and make them inaccessible, according to court documents.

The operation caused $8.9 million in damage and losses, prosecutors said. Three of the four men who pleaded guilty on Tuesday are under 30. The fourth, Commander, is 66.

The loose-knit international group has been in frequent battle with U.S. authorities not only over file-sharing but also other ideological causes such as the willingness of financial institutions to process donations for the anti-secrecy group WikiLeaks.

In March 2012, U.S. prosecutors in New York charged six suspected leaders of Anonymous for wreaking havoc on government and corporate websites.

One was sentenced last November to 10 years in prison for cyber- attacks on government agencies and businesses, including a global intelligence company. Another leading member who had been cooperating with authorities and was said to have helped disrupt more than 300 attacks was sentenced in May to time served.

© Thomson Reuters 2014

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  2. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  3. iPhone 18 Series May Arrive Without a Physical SIM Slot in This Region
  4. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With This Dimensity 8000 Series Chipset
  5. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  6. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  7. AI Impact Summit: From Registration to Schedule, All You Need to Know
  8. Tecno Spark 50 4G Launch Timeline, Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Could Debut This Year With This iPhone-Like Feature
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.