China denies hacking charges, backs cyber talks

Advertisement
By Agence France-Presse | Updated: 15 June 2012 16:07 IST
Highlights
  • China's defence minister denied that Beijing was behind Internet attacks on foreign targets
China's defence minister on Sunday denied that Beijing was behind Internet attacks on foreign targets and echoed US-British calls for international talks to toughen up cyber-security.

"It is hard to attribute the real source of attacks and we need to work together to make sure that this security problem won't be a problem," Defence Minister Liang Guanglie told a security forum in Singapore.

"Actually in China we have also suffered quite a wide range and frequency of cyber-attacks," he said.

"The Chinese government attaches importance also to cyber-security and stands firmly against all kinds of cyber-crimes," he said.

China has been accused by the United States, Canada and other nations of spearheading online attacks on government agencies as well as companies, although the Beijing government has always denied this.

Last week, Internet giant Google said a cyber-spying campaign originating in China had targeted Gmail accounts of senior US officials, military personnel, journalists and Chinese political activists.

The United States said Friday it had highlighted Google's concerns with Beijing, but the Chinese government has described any suggestion that it was behind the attack as "unacceptable".

Chinese hackers have also been accused of attacking sites critical of Beijing, with a US lawmaker in April urging Washington to protect a popular activist site after it was hit by hackers apparently upset at a petition to free detained artist Ai Weiwei.

"It is important for everyone to obey or follow laws and regulations in terms of cyber-security," said Liang, who joined calls for global coordination to deal with the issue.

Addressing the same forum in Singapore, the United States and Britain appealed Saturday for international cooperation against online threats following a fresh spate of attacks on government and corporate targets.

US Defense Secretary Robert Gates and British Defence Secretary Liam Fox underscored the urgency of the problem but avoided singling out Beijing as being the source of cyber-attacks.

"I think that one of the things that would be beneficial would be for there to be a more open dialogue among countries about cyber (threats) and establishing some rules of the road," Gates said.

Fox said Britain would host an international conference on what he called the "war of the invisible enemy" later this year.

The talks in London will include discussions on a potential legal framework, he said.

Earlier Sunday, Japanese videogame maker Nintendo reported that a website operated by its US subsidiary was hacked several weeks ago, with no personal information stolen.

Besieged games rival Sony is already grappling to contain the fallout from a series of cyber-attacks that have compromised the personal details of millions of online users in one of the biggest data breaches ever.

US aerospace giant Boeing said Friday on the sidelines of the Singapore conference that it was under "continuous" cyber-attack but that there had been no breach of its databases.

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: China, Google, cyber attack, deny
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  2. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  3. AI Impact Summit: From Registration to Schedule, All You Need to Know
  4. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  5. Oppo Find X10 Series Could Debut This Year With This iPhone-Like Feature
  6. Realme P4 Lite India Launch Date, Design, Colourways, Key Features Revealed
  7. Sam Altman Says ChatGPT Now Has 100 Million Weekly Active Users in India
  8. Oppo K14x 5G With 6,500mAh Battery Goes on Sale in India: See Price, Offers
  9. Lava Bold N2 Will Be Launched in India on This Date: See Expected Specs
  1. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  2. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
  3. Tecno Spark 50 4G Tipped to Launch Globally Soon; Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  4. Lava Bold N2 India Launch Date Revealed; Will Be Exclusively Available via Amazon
  5. Government Green Lights Rs. 10,000 Crore Fund of Funds 2.0 Under the Startup India Mission
  6. Samsung’s 'Wide' Galaxy Z Fold Design Revealed via Leaked One UI 9 Animations
  7. Realme P4 Lite India Launch Date Announced; Design, Colour Options, Key Features Revealed
  8. Kingdom Come: Deliverance's Free Next-Gen Update on PS5, Xbox Series S/X Is Now Out
  9. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications; Charging Specifications Revealed Ahead of Launch
  10. Oppo K14x 5G With 6,500mAh Battery, 50-Megapixel Camera Goes on Sale in India: Price, Offers
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.