FCC Plans Strong Hand to Regulate the Internet

Advertisement
By Steve Lohr, The New York Times | Updated: 5 February 2015 09:26 IST
For the last year, Tom Wheeler, chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, has been working on new rules to ensure so-called net neutrality, or an open Internet. Over that time, his hints and comments have shown a steady shift toward stronger regulation - and a more direct confrontation with the cable television and telecommunications companies that provide high-speed Internet service to most U.S. homes.

But Wednesday, Wheeler went further than some industry analysts had expected and even beyond the recommendations of President Barack Obama, who in November urged the commission to adopt the "strongest possible rules," in a surprising public admonition to an independent agency.

First, Wheeler proposed regulating consumer Internet service as a public utility, saying it was the right path to net neutrality. He also included provisions to protect consumer privacy and to ensure Internet service is available for people with disabilities and in remote areas.

Wheeler's plan would also for the first time give the FCC enforcement powers to police practices in the marketplace for handling of data before it enters the gateway network into people's households - the so-called interconnect market. For good measure, he added a "future conduct" standard to cover unforeseen problems.

Advertisement

Some industry analysts expected Wheeler to leave some rules out of this order, partly to create a narrower target for legal challenges. Yet he chose to add the other provisions to the main thrust of his plan, which is to reclassify high-speed Internet service as a telecommunications service, instead of an information service, under Title II of the Telecommunications Act.

Advertisement

"Once you've decided to take the bold step - apply Title II - and open yourself up to attacks from the industry and in court, it makes sense to put in everything you want," said Kevin Werbach, a former FCC counsel and an associate professor at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.

Wheeler announced the basics of his plan in an op-ed article on Wired's website Wednesday morning. Senior FCC officials elaborated at a briefing later in the day.

Advertisement

The open Internet order, the FCC officials said, will give the commission strong legal authority to ensure that no content is blocked and that the Internet is not divided into pay-to-play fast lanes for Internet and media companies that can afford it and slow lanes for everyone else. Those prohibitions are hallmarks of the net neutrality concept.

Wheeler was widely expected to take the Title II approach after Obama urged the commission to do so. And the politics surrounding net neutrality were influenced by the nearly 4 million public comments the FCC received last year, the vast majority urging forceful action.

Advertisement

Wheeler also plans to place mobile data service under the open Internet order and its Title II powers. Since the 1990s, mobile voice service has been regulated under Title II, using the light-touch model Wheeler intends to apply to broadband Internet service. That approach, for example, has shunned the regulation of pricing decisions made by cellphone operators and most business dealings between private companies to manage their mobile networks.

Wheeler has taken an ambitious step to forge a net neutrality policy, but its path ahead is anything but certain.

Wheeler will circulate his proposal to other FCC commissioners Thursday, and the plan could be modified. The proposal is subject to a vote by the full commission on Feb. 26. The commission typically decides major decisions by 3-2 votes, with the two other Democrats joining Wheeler.

If the proposal is approved, as expected, the cable and telecommunications companies have vowed to fight it in court.

"The agency is reaching for very broad powers here," said Justin Hurwitz, an assistant professor at the Nebraska College of Law. "Whether Title II applies to the Internet is very open to debate."

In Congress, Republicans are circulating draft legislation that embraces the essence of net neutrality by prohibiting content blocking and the creation of fast and slow lanes on the Internet. But their proposal would prevent the FCC from issuing regulations to achieve those goals.

The opponents of utility-style rules, led by the cable and telecommunications companies, view the approach as opening a door to heavy-handed regulation that will deter investment and innovation, ultimately harming consumers.

Michael Powell, FCC chairman in the Bush administration and president of the National Cable and Telecommunications Association, said in a statement that Wheeler's plan would place a "heavy burden" on broadband services and go "beyond the worthy goal of establishing important net neutrality protections."

Supporters of the Title II model include major Internet companies like Google, Facebook, Amazon and Netflix, as well as startup companies and many public interest groups. They view the strong rules as a necessary safeguard because the Internet is increasingly the essential gateway of communication and commerce in modern life. A robust regulatory framework, they say, will ensure continued business innovation and diversity of expression.

Gene Kimmelman, president of Public Knowledge, a public advocacy group that backs Title II rules, called Wheeler's proposal a "historic initiative" to preserve an Internet system of innovation and free expression.

© 2015 New York Times News Service

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. OTT Releases of the Week (Feb 16 - Feb 22): Know What to Watch This Weekend
  2. Nothing Confirms the Upcoming Phone 4a Series Will Sport a Snapdragon Chip
  3. Poco X8 Pro Series Display, Chipset, Battery Details Leak Online
  4. Vivo V70 Elite, V70 Launched in India With 6,500mAh Batteries: See Prices
  5. WhatsApp's New Feature Allows New Members to View Past Group Messages
  6. First User Report of iPhone Air's C1X Modem Failure Surfaces Online
  7. Adobe Lets Students in India Access Photoshop, Acrobat and Firefly for Free
  8. Vivo V70 Elite Review: Vivo's V-Series Goes 'Elite'
  9. Samsung's One UI 8.5 Update Will Bring These Useful Upgrades to Bixby
  10. Sony to Shut Down Demon's Souls Remake Developer Bluepoint Games
  1. Realme P4 Lite Launched in India With 6,300mAh Battery, 13-Megapixel Camera: Price, Specifications
  2. Samsung Galaxy Buds 4 Leak Again as Dummy Units Surface Online: Expected Price, Features
  3. Sony to Shut Down Demon's Souls Remake Developer Bluepoint Games in March
  4. Amazfit T-Rex Ultra 2 Launched With BioTracker 6.0 Sensor, 1.5-Inch AMOLED Display
  5. iPhone Air User Complains of C1X Modem Failure, Claims Mobile Diagnostics Suggests Hardware Issue
  6. Redmi Buds 8 Active Price, Design, Key Features Leaked Ahead of Anticipated Launch
  7. Samsung's One UI 8.5 Update Will Introduce Upgraded Bixby With Natural Voice Commands, Real-Time Web Access
  8. Poco X8 Pro and Poco X8 Pro Max to Feature 1.5K OLED Screens, 100W Charging Support, Tipster Claims
  9. WhatsApp Rolls Out Group Message History Feature for Easy Onboarding of New Members
  10. Lunar Surface Is Cracking as New Tectonic Map Reveals Recent Ridges Stretching Across the Moon, Study Suggests
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.