Jack Dorsey Says Twitter Was Threatened With Shutdown in India; MoS IT Rajeev Chandrasekhar Denies Claim

Deputy Minister for Information Technology Rajeev Chandrasekhar called Dorsey's assertions an "outright lie".

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 13 June 2023 12:33 IST
Highlights
  • Twitter was purchased by billionaire Elon Musk in 2022
  • Nigeria had suspended Twitter in 2021
  • It lifted ban in 2022 after Twitter agreed to open a local office

Jack Dorsey quit his Twitter CEO role in 2021

Photo Credit: Reuters

Indian government threatened to shut Twitter down unless it complied with orders to restrict accounts critical of the government's handling of farmer protests, co-founder Jack Dorsey said, an accusation Prime Minister Narendra Modi's government called an "outright lie".

Dorsey, who quit as Twitter CEO in 2021, said on Monday that India also threatened the company with raids on employees if it did not comply with government requests to take down certain posts.

"It manifested in ways such as: 'We will shut Twitter down in India', which is a very large market for us; 'we will raid the homes of your employees', which they did; And this is India, a democratic country," Dorsey said in an interview with YouTube news show Breaking Points.

Advertisement

Deputy Minister for Information Technology Rajeev Chandrasekhar, a top ranking official in PM Modi's government, lashed out against Dorsey in response, calling his assertions an "outright lie".

Advertisement

"No one went to jail nor was Twitter 'shut down'. Dorsey's Twitter regime had a problem accepting the sovereignty of Indian law," he said in a post on Twitter.

Dorsey's comments again put the spotlight on the struggles faced by foreign technology giants operating under PM Modi's rule. His government has often criticized Google, Facebook and Twitter for not doing enough to tackle fake or "anti-India" content on their platforms, or for not complying with rules.

Advertisement

The former Twitter CEO's comments drew widespread attention as it is unusual for global companies operating in India to publicly criticise the government. Last year, Xiaomi in a court filing said India's financial crime agency threatened its executives with "physical violence" and coercion, an allegation which the agency denied.

Dorsey also mentioned similar pressure from governments in Turkey and Nigeria, which had restricted the platform in their nations at different points over the years before lifting those bans.

Advertisement

Twitter was bought by Elon Musk in a $44 billion (roughly Rs. 3,62,495 crore) deal last year.

Chandrasekhar said Twitter under Dorsey and his team had repeatedly violated Indian law. He didn't name Musk, but added Twitter had been in compliance since June 2022.

Big tech vs PM Modi

PM Modi and his ministers are prolific users of Twitter, but free speech activists say his administration resorts to excessive censorship of content it thinks is critical of its working. India maintains its content removal orders are aimed at protecting users and sovereignty of the state.

The public spat with Twitter during 2021 saw PM Modi's government seeking an "emergency blocking" of the "provocative" Twitter hashtag "#ModiPlanningFarmerGenocide" and dozens of accounts. Farmers' groups had been protesting against new agriculture laws at the time, one of the biggest challenges faced by the PM Modi government.

The government later gave in to the farmers' demands.

Twitter initially complied with the government requests but later restored most of the accounts, citing "insufficient justification", leading to officials threatening legal consequences.

In subsequent weeks, police visited a Twitter office as part of another probe linked to tagging of some ruling party posts as manipulated. Twitter at the time said it was worried about staff safety.

Dorsey in his interview said many India content take down requests during the farmer protests were "around particular journalists that were critical of the government."

Since PM Modi took office in 2014, India has slid from 140th in World Press Freedom Index to 161 this year, out of 180 countries, its lowest ranking ever.

© Thomson Reuters 2023


Apple unveiled its first mixed reality headset, the Apple Vision Pro, at its annual developer conference, along with new Mac models and upcoming software updates. We discuss all the most important announcements made by the company at WWDC 2023 on Orbital, the Gadgets 360 podcast. Orbital is available on Spotify, Gaana, JioSaavn, Google Podcasts, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music and wherever you get your podcasts.
Affiliate links may be automatically generated - see our ethics statement for details.
 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Twitter, Elon Musk, Jack Dorsey, MoS IT
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. OTT Releases of the Week (Feb 16 - Feb 22): Know What to Watch This Weekend
  2. Here's When Xiaomi Will Launch the Xiaomi 17 and Xiaomi 17 Ultra Globally
  3. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased; Might Launch With This Chip
  4. Realme C83 5G Price Leaked; Here's How Much It May Cost in India
  5. Realme P4 Lite With 6,300mAh Battery Launched at This Price in India
  6. Xiaomi 17T, Xiaomi 17T Tipped to Launch Four Months Earlier Than Usual
  7. Vivo V70 Elite Review: Vivo's V-Series Goes 'Elite'
  8. Google Launches Gemini 3.1 Pro; Pomelli Updated With Photoshoot Feature
  9. Amazfit T-Rex Ultra 2 With BioTracker 6.0 Sensor Launched at This Price
  10. Xiaomi Teases a New Computing Device, New Tablet Expected to Launch Soon
  1. Poco X8 Pro, Poco X8 Pro Max Design and Colour Options Seen in Leaked Renders
  2. Xiaomi Teases India Launch of New Computing Device; New Tablet With Keyboard or Laptop Expected
  3. Realme C83 5G India Price, RAM and Storage Configurations Leaked Online
  4. Xiaomi 17 Series Global Launch Date Announced; Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Expected to Debut
  5. Google Blocked 266 Million Risky App Installs, Prevented 1.75 Million Policy-Violating Apps in 2025
  6. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased on Flipkart; Leaked Marketing Image Hints at Snapdragon 7s Gen 4 SoC
  7. Google Releases Gemini 3.1 Pro With Ability to Execute Complex Tasks; Pomelli Gets New Photoshoot Feature
  8. Xiaomi 17T Pro, Xiaomi 17T Tipped to Launch Earlier Than Previously Expected, Chipset Details Leaked
  9. Google Chrome Updated With Split View, Built-In PDF Markup Tools, and More Features
  10. Realme P4 Lite Launched in India With 6,300mAh Battery, 13-Megapixel Camera: Price, Specifications
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.