US Government Strikes Back at Silicon Valley Support for Apple

Advertisement
By Edvard Pettersson, Bloomberg | Updated: 11 March 2016 12:29 IST
The Justice Department struck back at Silicon Valley's outpouring of support for Apple Inc., reasserting its claim that forcing the company to help unlock a terrorist's iPhone is legal.

Last week, Amazon, Google, and Microsoft were among the dozens of technology companies that decried what they called an unprecedented expansion of government power that endangers the privacy of hundreds of millions of people. The Justice Department on Thursday tried to narrow the focus back to the iPhone 5c used by a San Bernardino County employee who, with his wife, murdered 14 at a holiday work party and died about four hours later in a police shootout.

(Also see:  Apple Resisting Magistrate Order to Share iPhone Information)

Federal prosecutors won a court order on Feb. 16 requiring the company to help the FBI bypass the phone's security features to access encrypted data. The US, arguing the phone could provide critical information, seeks to undermine claims by Apple and its tech industry chorus that the order should be reversed. Prosecutors contend that the cooperation they're seeking isn't different in nature than what courts have ordered Apple and other companies to provide in the past.

Advertisement

"Apple deliberately raised technological barriers that now stand between a lawful warrant and an iPhone containing evidence related to the terrorist mass murder of 14 Americans," prosecutors said in the filing. "Apple alone can remove those barriers so that the FBI can search the phone, and it can do so without undue burden."

Advertisement

(Also see:  Apple in a 'Fight of Its Own Making', Says US DoJ)

Apple and companies normally competing against it argue that the Justice Department, in trying to force the iPhone-maker to create a back door to the iPhone's security features, is claiming an authority that Congress has deliberately refused to grant it.

Advertisement

The magistrate judge in Riverside, Calif., who directed Apple to help the FBI unlock the phone used by Syed Rizwan Farook in the December 2 attack that also wounded 22, is set to consider at a March 22 hearing whether to leave that order in place.

(Also see:  Husband of San Bernardino Attack Victim Takes Apple's Side)

Last month, Apple won a victory in a similar case in Brooklyn, N.Y., where a magistrate judge ruled the government can't force Apple to unlock the iPhone of a drug dealer. The US has appealed that ruling to a district judge and whoever loses in the Riverside case is expected to appeal, too.

Advertisement

In both in the Riverside and the Brooklyn cases, the underlying question is whether an 18th Century US law allowing judges to issue orders in unusual situations where no specific law applies, can be used to make Apple unlock an iPhone that was seized under a search warrant. Apple and its supporters argue that the Justice Department can't rely on the 1789 All Writs Act because the reason there's no law forcing companies to help the US access encrypted information is that Congress has refused to create one.

© 2016 Bloomberg L.P.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased; Might Launch With This Chip
  2. OTT Releases of the Week (Feb 16 - Feb 22): Know What to Watch This Weekend
  3. Xiaomi Teases a New Computing Device, New Tablet Expected to Launch Soon
  4. Here's When Xiaomi Will Launch the Xiaomi 17 and Xiaomi 17 Ultra Globally
  5. Realme C83 5G Price Leaked; Here's How Much It May Cost in India
  6. Realme P4 Lite With 6,300mAh Battery Launched at This Price in India
  7. Poco X8 Pro, X8 Pro Max Colour Options, Design Leaked Online
  8. Google Prevented 1.75 Million Policy-Violating Apps in 2025 on Android
  9. Samsung Galaxy Buds 4 Leak Again as Dummy Units Surface Online
  10. Tipster Leaks Details of the Oppo Find X9 Ultra, Vivo X300 Ultra Cameras
  1. Google Pixel Call Recording Reportedly Available in Additional Regions Ahead of Global Expansion
  2. Oppo Find X9 Ultra, Vivo X300 Ultra Leak: Tipster Shares Details of Anticipated 200-Megapixel Cameras
  3. Redmi A7 Could Launch Soon as Handset Bags Thailand’s NBTC Certification
  4. Poco X8 Pro, Poco X8 Pro Max Design and Colour Options Seen in Leaked Renders
  5. Hello Bachhon OTT Release Date: When and Where to Watch Vineet Kumar Singh Starrer Online?
  6. Xiaomi Teases India Launch of New Computing Device; New Tablet With Keyboard or Laptop Expected
  7. Realme C83 5G India Price, RAM and Storage Configurations Leaked Online
  8. Xiaomi 17 Series Global Launch Date Announced; Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Expected to Debut
  9. Google Blocked 266 Million Risky App Installs, Prevented 1.75 Million Policy-Violating Apps in 2025
  10. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased on Flipkart; Leaked Marketing Image Hints at Snapdragon 7s Gen 4 SoC
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.