FCC head says he personally opposes in-flight cellphone use

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 25 November 2013 19:45 IST
A day after his proposal that in-flight phone calls be allowed on airliners, the head of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission said on Friday he personally opposed cellphone use on planes but the decision would be up to airlines.

FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler triggered a storm of criticism on Thursday when he said the agency was considering letting airplane passengers use cellphones for calls and text messaging during flights.

(Also see: US considers allowing in-flight cellphone use)

Experts warned that passengers would not welcome the prospect of listening to their neighbors chatter during flights. Airlines expressed concern about the proposal, and the union representing flight attendants said passengers rejected cellphone use and urged the FCC not to proceed.

Advertisement

(Also see: US FCC to carriers: Voluntarily provide mobile unlocking rights, or face rules)

"We understand that many passengers would prefer that voice calls not be made on airplanes. I feel that way myself," Wheeler said in a statement.

Advertisement

There is "no technical reason" to bar the use of mobile devices on planes and the FCC's role is to advise if there is a safety issue with using phones on planes, he said.

"Ultimately, if the FCC adopts the proposal in the coming months, it will be airlines' decisions, in consultation with their customers, as to whether to permit voice calls while in flight," Wheeler said.

Advertisement

(Also see: FCC may back in-flight cellphone use, but will the airlines?)

The proposal will be voted on at the FCC's December 12 meeting. It would let the airlines decide whether to allow passengers to make phone calls, send texts or otherwise use their own wireless data and call services, although still not during takeoff or landing.

Advertisement

Last month, the Federal Aviation Administration said it would allow expanded use of electronic devices aboard planes, ending a long-standing ban. But the devices are still not allowed to connect to any ground networks and FCC rules have long banned the use of cellphones aboard.

© Thomson Reuters 2013

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  2. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  3. Oppo K14x 5G With 6,500mAh Battery Goes on Sale in India: See Price, Offers
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.