NASA Says First All-Female Spacewalk Now Later This Week

The first such mission was cancelled because NASA had only one medium-sized suit at the time.

Advertisement
By Agence France-Presse | Updated: 16 October 2019 15:50 IST

Photo Credit: NASA

After an infamous spacesuit flub earlier this year that resulted in accusations of sexism, NASA now plans to carry out the first all-female spacewalk this week, it said Tuesday.

Astronauts Christina Koch and Jessica Meir will venture outside the International Space Station either Thursday or Friday to replace a power controller unit that failed over the weekend.

The first such mission was supposed to take place in March but had to be cancelled because the space agency had only one medium-sized suit at the time, with a male-female combination performing the required task at a later date.

Advertisement

Traditionally male-dominated NASA's failure to be adequately prepared was denounced in some quarters as evidence of implicit sexism.

Advertisement

The new date was announced by administrator Jim Bridenstine in a tweet, while a blog post detailed the job at hand: swapping out a faulty Battery Charge/Discharge Unit (BCDU) with a new one.

The station is out of direct sunlight for much of its orbit and therefore needs batteries, and the BCDUs regulate the amount of charge that goes into them.

Advertisement

The ISS currently has six crew members: Americans Koch, Meir, and Andrew Morgan; Russians Alexander Skvotsov and Oleg Skripochka, and Italian Luca Parmitano.

The original all-female spacewalk would have featured Koch and Anne McClain, who is now back on Earth.

Advertisement

McClain is separately being investigated by NASA on allegations of improperly accessing her estranged wife's private financial records while in space.

Spacewalks last several hours and are frequently needed to perform maintenance on the complex, the first part of which was launched into space by Russia in 1998.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: NASA, Spacewalk
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Tipster Leaks Details of the Oppo Find X9 Ultra, Vivo X300 Ultra Cameras
  2. Xiaomi Teases a New Computing Device, New Tablet Expected to Launch Soon
  3. OTT Releases of the Week (Feb 16 - Feb 22): Know What to Watch This Weekend
  4. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased; Might Launch With This Chip
  5. Redmi A7 Bags Thailand's NBTC Certification, Could Launch Soon
  6. Here's When Xiaomi Will Launch the Xiaomi 17 and Xiaomi 17 Ultra Globally
  1. Astronomers Find ‘Impossible’ Galaxy ACDG-2 With Virtually No Stars and a Massive Dark Matter Core
  2. Google Pixel Call Recording Reportedly Available in Additional Regions Ahead of Global Expansion
  3. Oppo Find X9 Ultra, Vivo X300 Ultra Leak: Tipster Shares Details of Anticipated 200-Megapixel Cameras
  4. Redmi A7 Could Launch Soon as Handset Bags Thailand’s NBTC Certification
  5. Poco X8 Pro, Poco X8 Pro Max Design and Colour Options Seen in Leaked Renders
  6. Hello Bachhon OTT Release Date: When and Where to Watch Vineet Kumar Singh Starrer Online?
  7. Xiaomi Teases India Launch of New Computing Device; New Tablet With Keyboard or Laptop Expected
  8. Realme C83 5G India Price, RAM and Storage Configurations Leaked Online
  9. Xiaomi 17 Series Global Launch Date Announced; Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Expected to Debut
  10. Google Blocked 266 Million Risky App Installs, Prevented 1.75 Million Policy-Violating Apps in 2025
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.