Facebook's Failure to Remove 'Kenosha Guard' Militia Page an 'Operational Mistake': Zuckerberg

The page and event listing violated Facebook's policies and should have been removed after numerous complaints.

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 29 August 2020 10:44 IST
Highlights
  • Facebook removed 'Kenosha Guard' page a day after the shooting on Tuesday
  • Zuckerberg said it was "largely an operational mistake"
  • Facebook would continue to evolve its policies, the CEO said

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg posted a video publicly to took responsibility and faulted his company

Facebook Chief Executive Officer Mark Zuckerberg took responsibility and faulted his company for not removing the page and event for a militia group before two people were killed at a protest in Kenosha, saying it was "largely an operational mistake".

The page and event listing violated Facebook's policies and should have been removed after numerous complaints were received about the group's violent nature, Zuckerberg said in a video to employees that he posted publicly on his Facebook profile.

Advertisement

The social media company removed the page for 'Kenosha Guard', and an event listing for 'Armed Citizens to Protect Our Lives and Property' a day after the shooting on Tuesday.

Two people were killed during protests in Kenosha that broke out in response to the police shooting of a Black man earlier this week.

Advertisement

"The contractors and reviewers who the initial complaints were funnelled to basically didn't pick this up," Zuckerberg said. "And on second review, doing it more sensitively, the team that's responsible for dangerous organisations recognised that this violated the policies and we took it down."

Zuckerberg said there was no evidence the person charged with the shooting followed the Kenosha Guard page, but added that the company will continue to evolve its policies for identifying potentially dangerous organisations.

Advertisement

© Thomson Reuters 2020


In 2020, will WhatsApp get the killer feature that every Indian is waiting for? We discussed this on Orbital, our weekly technology podcast, which you can subscribe to via Apple Podcasts or RSS, download the episode, or just hit the play button below.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Google IO 2026: Here's Everything That Was Announced During the Event
  2. Google Brings Agentic Experiences Across Apps With Gemini Spark
  3. Sony 1000X 'The ColleXion' Price, Design, and Specifications Leaked Again
  4. Google's Android XR Glasses With Gemini AI to Launch Later This Fall
  5. Moto G37, Moto G37 Power Launched in India With These Features
  1. Google IO 2026: Here’s Everything That Was Announced From Gemini 3.5 Flash to Gemini Omni
  2. Google I/O 2026: Google, Samsung Showcase Gemini-Powered Android XR Smart Glasses
  3. Google I/O 2026: Gemini Omni for AI Videos, Gemini 3.5 Series Models Unveiled
  4. Google I/O 2026: Gemini Spark Brings Agentic Experiences Across Google Docs, Slides and More Apps
  5. Massive Solar Storm Reveals How Mars Is Losing Its Atmosphere
  6. Samsung Galaxy S27 Series Tipped to Include New Pro Model; Galaxy S27 Ultra Said to Offer Hardware Upgrades
  7. Redmi Turbo 5 India Launch Timeline Leaked, Tipped to Retain Same Features as Chinese Variant
  8. Airtel Introduces Priority Postpaid With India's First 5G Network Slicing Starting at Rs. 449
  9. Echo Protocol Exploit Sees Hacker Mint Unauthorised eBTC Worth $76.7 Million
  10. Xiaomi 17T Pro, Xiaomi 17T Price and Specifications Surface on Retail Listing Ahead of May 28 Launch
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.