Facebook Said to Have Tentatively Concluded Spammers Were Behind Recent Data Breach

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 18 October 2018 10:59 IST
Highlights
  • People behind the attack were a group of Facebook and Instagram spammers
  • They present themselves as a digital marketing company
  • Cyber-attackers had stolen data from 29 million Facebook account

Facebook has tentatively concluded that spammers looking to make money, and not a nation-state, were behind the largest-ever data theft at the social media company, the Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday.

The people behind the attack were a group of Facebook and Instagram spammers that present themselves as a digital marketing company, and whose activities were previously known to Facebook's security team, the Journal reported, citing people familiar with the company's internal investigation.

Last week, Facebook said that cyber-attackers had stolen data from 29 million Facebook accounts using an automated program that moved from one friend to the next, adding that the data theft had hit fewer than the 50 million profiles it initially reported.

Facebook said in an email to Reuters that it was cooperating with the Federal Bureau of Investigation on this matter.

Advertisement

The breach has left users more vulnerable to targeted phishing attacks and could deepen unease about posting to a service whose privacy, moderation and security practices have been called into question by a number of scandals, cyber-security experts and financial analysts have said.

Facebook first disclosed the breach in late September and said it had fixed the issue soon after discovering it on September 25.

Advertisement

Facebook said it was conducting an internal investigation into the incident and last week cut the number of affected users from its original estimate after investigators reviewed activity on accounts that may have been affected.

It had also notified the FBI, Department of Homeland Security, Congressional aides and the Data Protection Commission in Ireland, where the company has European headquarters.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Facebook, WSJ
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Here's How Much the Vivo Y31T 5G Could Cost in India
  2. Asus VM240 AiO All-in-One Desktop PC Debuts Alongside New Gaming Accessories 
  3. OnePlus Could Exclusively Launch Another 4G Phone in India Next Month
  4. This Is When Apple Can Announce Its iPhone 18 Series Launch Event
  5. iQOO Z11 Launched in India With These Features: See Price
  6. Infinix Hot 70 Pro India Launch Timeline Announced; Colourways Teased
  7. Here's When the Lava Bold N4 Lite Will Launch in India
  8. Moto G Max Goes on Sale in India: Check Price, Offers
  9. iQOO Z11 Review
  10. CMF Buds Neo With 35dB ANC, Up to 52 Hour of Battery Launched in India
  1. Vivo V2607 Geekbench Listing Reveals Key Details: What You Need to Know
  2. Elon Musk’s X Considers Stablecoin-Based Payments for Influencers and Content Providers
  3. Sony's Live Service Co-Op Game Horizon Hunters Gathering Reportedly Being Rebooted After Poor Player Feedback
  4. BitGo Becomes First Global Crypto Firm to Secure South Korea VASP Licence
  5. Huawei Pura X View Pre-Orders Begin; Confirmed to Feature Wide-Screen 16:9.5 Display, 7,000mAh Battery
  6. iQOO Gaming Tablet Tipped to Get Active Cooling, Snapdragon 8 Elite Gen 6 Pro SoC
  7. OnePlus Tipped to Launch a New 4G Phone Exclusively in India Next Month
  8. Qualcomm Teases Two New Snapdragon 8 Elite Chips Ahead of Snapdragon Summit
  9. Lava Bold N4 Lite India Launch Date Announced; Design and Durability Details Teased
  10. Coinbase Expands Tokenisation Push With Abu Dhabi Regulatory Approval
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.