Google+ to Shut Down April 2, Some Features Will Be Taken Offline Starting Next Week

Advertisement
By Harpreet Singh | Updated: 31 January 2019 11:03 IST
Highlights
  • Google will start deleting all consumer Google+ data from April 2, 2019
  • Some essential Google+ features will be taken down as early as next week
  • Google+ users will be able to download and save their data before April 2

Google says it will delete all consumer Google+ data starting April 2, 2019

Alphabet's Google had announced its plans to completely shut down Google+ back in December last year. Launched in 2011, Google+ was expected to be the company's answer to Facebook with a number of similar features. However, it didn't gain much traction over the years. While Google+ will cease to exist from April 2, 2019, the company now says it will start removing some of the features as early as February 4. Google has outlined the timeline when and which features will be taken offline first and how Google+ users can download their data.

On a new support page posted on Monday, Google says from February 4 it will stop letting users create new Google+ profiles, pages, communities or events. Google+ community owners and moderators can download their data starting early March 2019. This data will include author information, content body, and photos posted in a public community on Google+.

Starting April 2, 2019, Google+ accounts and pages will be taken offline. Google will delete all consumer data. In case you archived photos and videos from Google+, they'll be deleted as well. In case you have a lot of data resting on Google+ servers, make sure you download and save it well before April 2.

Advertisement

However, Google claims the process of deleting consumer Google+ data will take a couple of months. Content posted on Google+ may remain visible during that time. The company says users may still be able to view activity logs and some consumer Google+ content may also be visible via G Suite.

Advertisement

On the new support page, Google still claims the company had decided to kill Google+ due to low usage and "challenges involved in maintaining a successful product." However, a bug was discovered last year that exposed user data of 500,000 users. Google still maintains no developer had exploited the vulnerability and the company hasn't been able to find any misuse of the data.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Google Plus, Google
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. OnePlus 12R Gets OxygenOS 16 Update With These New Features
  1. Fermi Telescope Detects Gamma-Ray Halo That Could Be First Direct Dark Matter Signal
  2. Researchers Develop New Materials for Truly Stretchable OLED Screens
  3. OxygenOS 16 Update Rolling Out to OnePlus 12R Globally, Brings New AI Tools and Upgraded Performance
  4. Dhurandhar OTT Release: Know When, Where to Watch the Ranveer Singh, Sanjay Dutt-Starrer
  5. Born Hungry Is Now Streaming Online: Know Where to Watch the Journey of Chef Sash Simpson
  6. Brat Is Streaming Now: Where to Watch Darling Krishna’s Betting-World Drama
  7. Bad Guys 2 OTT Release: When and Where to Watch the Animated Heist-Comedy
  8. Apple Tipped to Turn to Intel to Build Its Entry-Level M-Series Chipsets
  9. Paanch Minar Is Now Streaming Online: Know Where to Watch Raj Tarun's Crime Comedy
  10. Samsung Galaxy Tab A11+ Launched in India With 11-Inch Display, 7,040mAh Battery: Price, Specifications
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2025. All rights reserved.