Airtel Postpones Second-Quarter Results as Sector Stares at Massive Payouts

Airtel said on Tuesday it has approached the DoT to "seek clarity" on the amount it had to pay.

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 29 October 2019 16:10 IST
Highlights
  • Recent court ruling asks telcos to pay $1300 crore in dues to govt.
  • September-quarter results have been shifted to November 14
  • Airtel shares dropped as much as 4.22 percent

Bharti Airtel said on Tuesday it would need more time to release its September-quarter earnings report, as the Indian company weighs the impact of a recent court ruling asking telecom firms to pay Rs. 92,151.15 crore in dues to the government.

The company's board, which met earlier in the day, accepted the management's recommendation to shift the September-quarter results to November 14, the telecom operator said.

Shares of New Delhi-based Airtel, which was expected to release its quarterly numbers later in the day, dropped as much as 4.22 percent, while smaller rival Vodafone Idea fell 9.52 percent.

Advertisement

Both companies have been steadily losing subscribers to Reliance Industries-owned Jio.

Advertisement

India's Supreme Court last week upheld a demand by the country's telecoms department (DoT) that wireless carriers must pay Rs. 92,000 crore rupees in overdue levies and interest.

Airtel said on Tuesday it has approached the DoT to "seek clarity" on the amount it had to pay, adding that it has sought the government's support to deal with the "adverse outcome" of the court ruling.

Advertisement

Vodafone, already lugging over Rs. 99,228.50 crore in debt as of the previous financial year, said in a statement dated October 25 that it would engage with the regulator for relief, including a waiver of interest and penalties.

"The amount involved is pretty huge. If this goes on, (then) Vodafone could go bankrupt," said Rusmik Oza, Head of Fundamental Research at Kotak Securities.

Advertisement

The total debt in the sector is about 4 trillion rupees, according to trade body Cellular Operators Association (COAI) of India.

"The Supreme Court's judgment is the last straw in contributing to financial distress and it remains to be seen whether the industry will be able to recover from this setback," COAI said in an emailed statement.

Sector Consolidation
India's telecom sector has reduced to only four large players currently operating from about 10 a decade ago. That includes the state-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd and Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd, which merged last week.

The court-ruled fee payments would further consolidate the industry and leave only two companies, namely Airtel and Jio, analysts told Reuters.

"Telecom usage in India is pretty high. So if it falls in the hands of only a few players, it is not good," said Vinod Nair, Head of Research, Geojit Financial Services.

"The government has to look into this."

Kotak's Oza echoed the sentiments, adding that for good competition, the sector needed at least three players, if not four or five.

Jio, launched in 2015, is a relatively new player and would face a lighter burden in terms of levies.

"We have to wait and see how it plays out, but Reliance (Jio) will have much less to pay," Oza added.

Jio's parent Reliance shares were up 2.35 percent on Tuesday.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Airtel, Vodafone, DoT, Idea Cellular
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Tipster Leaks Details of the Oppo Find X9 Ultra, Vivo X300 Ultra Cameras
  2. Xiaomi Teases a New Computing Device, New Tablet Expected to Launch Soon
  3. OTT Releases of the Week (Feb 16 - Feb 22): Know What to Watch This Weekend
  4. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased; Might Launch With This Chip
  5. Redmi A7 Bags Thailand's NBTC Certification, Could Launch Soon
  6. Here's When Xiaomi Will Launch the Xiaomi 17 and Xiaomi 17 Ultra Globally
  1. Astronomers Find ‘Impossible’ Galaxy ACDG-2 With Virtually No Stars and a Massive Dark Matter Core
  2. Google Pixel Call Recording Reportedly Available in Additional Regions Ahead of Global Expansion
  3. Oppo Find X9 Ultra, Vivo X300 Ultra Leak: Tipster Shares Details of Anticipated 200-Megapixel Cameras
  4. Redmi A7 Could Launch Soon as Handset Bags Thailand’s NBTC Certification
  5. Poco X8 Pro, Poco X8 Pro Max Design and Colour Options Seen in Leaked Renders
  6. Hello Bachhon OTT Release Date: When and Where to Watch Vineet Kumar Singh Starrer Online?
  7. Xiaomi Teases India Launch of New Computing Device; New Tablet With Keyboard or Laptop Expected
  8. Realme C83 5G India Price, RAM and Storage Configurations Leaked Online
  9. Xiaomi 17 Series Global Launch Date Announced; Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Expected to Debut
  10. Google Blocked 266 Million Risky App Installs, Prevented 1.75 Million Policy-Violating Apps in 2025
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.