Star Wars: Episode VIII Delayed to Late 2017

Advertisement
By Agence France-Presse | Updated: 21 January 2016 10:55 IST
The next and eighth episode in the Star Wars saga will premiere in December 15 2017, seven months later than originally planned, Disney and Lucasfilm announced Wednesday.

"The move follows the extraordinary success of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which was the first 'Star Wars' movie to premiere outside the traditional summer blockbuster window and smashed numerous records," the studios said in a statement on the website www.starwars.com.

The seventh episode in the series, "The Force Awakens," quickly surpassed the $760.5 million record set in 2009 by Avatar to become the top-grossing film ever in the North American market.

The film has now grossed $858.9 million in North America and $1.865 billion worldwide.

Advertisement

(Also see:  The Force Awakens Breaks Avatar's North America Box Office Record)

The next episode will be directed by Rian Johnson, who helmed the 2012 sci-fi thriller Looper, starring Bruce Willis, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Emily Blunt.

Advertisement

It will feature the stars of The Force Awakens: Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Daisy Ridley and John Boyega.

The movie is in pre-production, with filming set to begin next month in London, the studios said.

Advertisement

Disney and Lucasfilm plan to release a further instalment, Episode 9 of the saga, on May 24, 2019.

A spin-off, titled "Rogue One," which will be set shortly before the events portrayed in the original 1977 "Star Wars" film, is set to reach screens on December 16.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. OTT Releases of the Week (Feb 16 - Feb 22): Know What to Watch This Weekend
  2. Here's When Xiaomi Will Launch the Xiaomi 17 and Xiaomi 17 Ultra Globally
  3. Realme P4 Lite With 6,300mAh Battery Launched at This Price in India
  4. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased; Might Launch With This Chip
  5. Xiaomi 17T, Xiaomi 17T Tipped to Launch Four Months Earlier Than Usual
  6. Nothing Confirms the Upcoming Phone 4a Series Will Sport a Snapdragon Chip
  7. Realme C83 5G Price Leaked; Here's How Much It May Cost in India
  8. Google Launches Gemini 3.1 Pro; Pomelli Updated With Photoshoot Feature
  9. Samsung Galaxy Buds 4 Leak Again as Dummy Units Surface Online
  10. First User Report of iPhone Air's C1X Modem Failure Surfaces Online
  1. Realme C83 5G India Price, RAM and Storage Configurations Leaked Online
  2. Xiaomi 17 Series Global Launch Date Announced; Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Expected to Debut
  3. Google Blocked 266 Million Risky App Installs, Prevented 1.75 Million Policy-Violating Apps in 2025
  4. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased on Flipkart; Leaked Marketing Image Hints at Snapdragon 7s Gen 4 SoC
  5. Google Releases Gemini 3.1 Pro With Ability to Execute Complex Tasks; Pomelli Gets New Photoshoot Feature
  6. Xiaomi 17T Pro, Xiaomi 17T Tipped to Launch Earlier Than Previously Expected, Chipset Details Leaked
  7. Google Chrome Updated With Split View, Built-In PDF Markup Tools, and More Features
  8. Realme P4 Lite Launched in India With 6,300mAh Battery, 13-Megapixel Camera: Price, Specifications
  9. Samsung Galaxy Buds 4 Leak Again as Dummy Units Surface Online: Expected Price, Features
  10. Sony to Shut Down Demon's Souls Remake Developer Bluepoint Games in March
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.