'Apple participated in a conspiracy to raise prices of ebooks': US Judge

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 24 May 2013 17:16 IST
In an unusual move before a trial, a federal judge expressed a tentative view that the U.S. Justice Department will be able to show evidence that Apple engaged in a conspiracy with publishers to increase e-book prices.

U.S. District Judge Denise Cote, who is set to oversee a trial on June 3, gave her view during a pretrial hearing on Thursday.

While she stressed that the view was not final and that she had read only some of the evidence so far, her comments could add to pressure on Apple to settle the lawsuit, in which the Justice Department accuses the company and five publishers of conspiring to fix e-book prices.

"I believe that the government will be able to show at trial direct evidence that Apple knowingly participated in and facilitated a conspiracy to raise prices of e-books, and that the circumstantial evidence in this case, including the terms of the agreements, will confirm that," Cote said.

Orin Snyder, a lawyer for Apple, said in a statement, "We strongly disagree with the court's preliminary statements about the case today."

Advertisement

The Justice Department declined to comment.

Apple is the sole defendant remaining after litigation was settled by five publishers - Pearson Plc's Penguin Group, News Corp's HarperCollins Publishers Inc, CBS Corp's Simon & Schuster Inc, Hachette Book Group Inc and MacMillan.

Advertisement

Thursday's hearing had largely focused on pretrial matters and motions, such as which expert witnesses could testify and how long the trial would last.

Cote, who is hearing the case without a jury, said at the start of the proceedings that she was working on a draft of a written decision that she would expand and publish after the trial.

Advertisement

Toward the end of the hearing, Mark Ryan, a lawyer with the Justice Department, asked if she would be able to share any of her thoughts on the case so far.

Cote then gave what she called her "tentative view," which she said was based largely on material submitted as evidence - emails and correspondence that took place over a six-week period between December 2009 and January 2010.

She emphasized that no final decision would be made until after the trial takes place. And she also said she had not read many of the affidavits submitted in support of the parties' positions.

Snyder, of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher, in his statement disputed Cote's opinion, saying the evidence would show Apple benefited consumers by providing competition in an emerging market.

"We look forward to presenting our evidence in open court and proving that Apple did not conspire to fix prices," he said.

Pearson had been set to go to trial alongside Apple on remaining claims asserted by states attorneys general. On Wednesday, Pearson agreed to a proposed $75 million settlement with the states and plaintiffs in consumer class-action lawsuits.

The case is United States v. Apple Inc, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, No. 12-02826.

© Thomson Reuters 2013

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Apple, Internet, e-books
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Poco F9 Pro, Poco F9 Ultra Leak Reveals European Price, Specifications
  2. Krafton Confirms BGMI Lite Is Coming to India by the End of 2026
  3. Boat Aavante Prime X Review
  4. These Vivo Y Series Phone Are Now More Expensive in India
  5. Poco M8x 5G Will Launch in India Later This Month
  6. POCO M8x 5G Price, Specifications Tipped Ahead of India Launch
  7. Samsung Galaxy Tab S12 Ultra New Leak Suggests Imminent Launch
  8. Samsung Galaxy S27 Ultra Design Leak Reveals Horizontal Camera Layout
  9. This Vivo Y Series Phone Will Launch in India Soon: See Key Specifications
  10. Is the 'Ultra' Era Ending? Xiaomi 18 Ultra Reportedly Scrapped
  1. Xiaomi 18 Pro and 18 Pro Max Could Debut First, Standard Model Tipped for December
  2. iQOO 16 Could Get Triple 50-Megapixel Cameras With Periscope Telephoto, Leak Suggests
  3. Samsung Galaxy S27 Series Tipped to Feature Horizontal Rear Camera Module; Design and Key Specs Leaked Online
  4. OnePlus Nord 6, Nord CE 6, OnePlus N6, and More Price in India Hiked: Check Updated Prices
  5. Vivo Y31T 5G India Launch Confirmed; Full Specifications List, Design, and More Listed Online
  6. Vivo Y51 Pro 5G, Vivo Y31 and More Y Series Phones Receive Price Hikes in India: Check New Prices
  7. Xiaomi 18 Ultra Launch Reportedly Scrapped With 'Pro Max' Becoming Top Flagship; Oppo, Vivo to Follow Suit
  8. Bitcoin Falls Below $63,000 as Middle East Tensions Weigh on Crypto
  9. iQOO Neo 11 Ultra Camera Samples Reveal 50-Megapixel Sony Sensor; Leak Suggests 9,100mAh Battery
  10. Vivo Y31T Specifications, Design Leak Ahead of Launch, Tipped to Feature 7,200mAh Battery
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.