Nintendo Says NX Game Console Won't Be Powered by Android

Advertisement
By NDTV Correspondent | Updated: 2 June 2015 19:55 IST

A day ago the Internet was abuzz with rampant speculation pertaining to Nintendo's next console, codenamed NX, running Android. On Tuesday, the company shot down all assumptions related to the same.

"There is no truth to the report saying that we are planning to adopt Android for NX," a Nintendo spokesman said to the Wall Street Journal.

This response was to a report by Japanese business daily, Nikkei. It said that Nintendo would be using Android in its next console, claiming that the information came from sources close to the matter at Nintendo's headquarters.

Advertisement

(Also see: Nintendo NX Game Platform Announced, May Replace Wii U Console)

Its sources claimed that by using Android as the base for NX, Nintendo would be able to gain a numerical superiority in developers for the platform thanks to the slew of developers making apps for Android. And with the Wii U console's touchscreen controller being a hindrance to most developers, going with something that's familiar to developers would be a plus point. However the report in the Nikkei also mentioned that the OS' known security issues would make it a hindrance for children, women, and families - casual audiences that the company strives to appeal to.

Advertisement

In the past, details of Nintendo's upcoming consoles have been well-kept secrets and the company has remained quiet, keeping its cards close to its chest. Its even gone as far as to state the NX will not be revealed at E3 2015 with CEO Satoru Iwata saying that a full reveal can be expected in 2016.

Earlier in the year, the company was in the news for its deal with DeNA to bring its games to mobile.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Lava Bold N2 Will Be Launched in India on This Date: See Expected Specs
  2. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  3. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  4. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  5. Oppo K14x 5G With 6,500mAh Battery Goes on Sale in India: See Price, Offers
  6. Samsung's 'Wide' Galaxy Z Fold Design Spotted in Leaked One UI 9 Animations
  7. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  8. Tecno Spark 50 4G Launch Timeline, Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  9. AI Impact Summit: From Registration to Schedule, All You Need to Know
  10. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With This Dimensity 8000 Series Chipset
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.