Google rejects White House request to pull controversial film

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 15 September 2012 11:44 IST
Google Inc rejected a request by the White House on Friday to reconsider its decision to keep online a controversial YouTube movie clip that has ignited anti American protests in the Middle East.

The Internet company said it was censoring the video in India and Indonesia after blocking it on Wednesday in Egypt and Libya, where U.S. embassies have been stormed by protestors enraged over depiction of the Prophet Mohammad as a fraud and philanderer.

On Tuesday, the U.S. Ambassador to Libya and three other Americans were killed in a fiery siege on the embassy in Benghazi.

Google said was further restricting the clip to comply with local law rather than as a response to political pressure.

Advertisement

"We've restricted access to it in countries where it is illegal such as India and Indonesia, as well as in Libya and Egypt, given the very sensitive situations in these two countries," the company said. "This approach is entirely consistent with principles we first laid out in 2007."

Advertisement

White House officials had asked Google earlier on Friday to reconsider whether the video had violated YouTube's terms of service. The guidelines can be viewed at https://www.youtube.com/t/community_guidelines.

Google said on Wednesday that the video was within its guidelines.

Advertisement

U.S. authorities said on Friday that they were investigating whether the film's producer, Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, a 55-year old Egyptian Coptic Christian living in Southern California, had violated terms of his prison release. Basseley was convicted in 2010 for bank fraud and released from prison on probation last June.

Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Google, White House, Youtube
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  2. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  3. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  4. Oppo K14x 5G With 6,500mAh Battery Goes on Sale in India: See Price, Offers
  5. Deals on iPhone 17, Google Pixel 10 and More During Flipkart Sale
  6. Tecno Spark 50 4G Launch Timeline, Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  7. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Lands on IMEI Database, Could Launch Soon
  1. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  2. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  3. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  4. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  5. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  6. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
  7. Tecno Spark 50 4G Tipped to Launch Globally Soon; Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  8. Lava Bold N2 India Launch Date Revealed; Will Be Exclusively Available via Amazon
  9. Government Green Lights Rs. 10,000 Crore Fund of Funds 2.0 Under the Startup India Mission
  10. Samsung’s 'Wide' Galaxy Z Fold Design Revealed via Leaked One UI 9 Animations
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.