Google Sticks to EU Only Application of 'Right to Be Forgotten'

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 20 January 2015 09:19 IST
Google is only removing search results from European websites when individuals invoke their "right to be forgotten", contrary to regulators' guidelines, but will review that approach soon, the company's chief legal officer said on Monday.

The issue of how far the so-called right to be forgotten should extend has concentrated the minds of Europe's privacy regulators since the continent's top court ruled in May that individuals could have "inadequate, irrelevant or no longer relevant" information removed from search results.

Google has consistently argued that it believes the ruling should only apply to its European websites, such as Google.de in Germany or Google.fr in France.

But the group of privacy watchdogs from EU countries, the Article 29 Working Party, concluded in November that they want search engines to scrub results globally because of the ease of switching from a European domain to Google.com.

David Drummond, Google's Chief Legal Officer, said the Internet giant's approach had not changed since November and it would review it when a group of experts publishes a report on last year's court judgment towards the end of this month.

Advertisement

"We've had a basic approach, we've followed it, on this question we've made removals Europe-wide but not beyond," he said at an event in Brussels on Monday.

Between September and November, an advisory council, including a former German justice minister and Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales, held public meetings across Europe to debate the balance between privacy and the free flow of information.

Advertisement

It is expected to publish a report with its conclusions at the end of January to help inform Google on its application of the ruling.

"We'll take that (the report), along with the Article 29 input and other input and arrive at an approach," Drummond said.

Advertisement

"It's our strong view that there needs to be some way of limiting the concept, because it is a European concept."

Since the ruling in May, Google has received more than 200,000 requests from across Europe affecting over 700,000 URLs, according to its online transparency report.

The EU's privacy chiefs adopted a set of non-binding guidelines in November to ensure the ruling is applied consistently across the bloc's 28 member states.

Citizens whose removal requests have been refused by a search engine can appeal to their national data protection regulator, who can then take action against the company.

On Friday, the Article 29 Working Party wrote to Microsoft, Yahoo and French search engine Qwant to remind them of the regulators' view that results should be scrubbed across all relevant domains.

© Thomson Reuters 2015

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Samsung Galaxy S26 Family to Get a New Member at August 27 Event
  2. This Is When Apple Can Announce Its iPhone 18 Series Launch Event
  3. Vivo's OriginOS 7 Leak Reveals New Glass Styles, Control Centre Tweaks
  4. iQOO Z11 Launched in India With These Features: See Price
  5. iPhone 18 Pro Case Leak Hints at No Major Design Changes
  6. iQOO TWS 5e Launched With 35dB ANC, Up to 50 Hours of Battery Life
  7. iQOO Buds With Up to 50 Hours Battery Life Debut in India at This Price
  1. iQOO TWS 5e Launched With 35dB ANC, Up to 50 Hours of Battery Life: Price, Features
  2. iPhone 18 Pro May Look Nearly Identical to iPhone 17 Pro, New Leak Claims
  3. iQOO Buds Launched in India With Up to 50 Hours Battery Life, AI Call Noise Reduction: Price, Features
  4. CMF Buds Neo With 35dB ANC, Up to 52 Hour of Battery Launched in India: Price, Features
  5. Bitcoin Surges Towards $70,000 as Liquidity Boost and Short Squeeze Lift Crypto
  6. iQOO Z11 Launched in India With Dimensity 7500 Turbo Chip, 7,050mAh Battery: Price, Specifications
  7. New GTA 6 Gameplay Leaks Emerge as Group Threatens to Release More Videos
  8. Claude Can Now Take Greater Control Over Gmail, Google Drive With Updated Google Workspace Connectors
  9. iPhone 18 Series Launch Countdown Begins: This Is When Apple Can Announce September Event
  10. Google Brings New Account Photo Design to AI and Google One Subscribers
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.