Kim Dotcom suffers legal setback in US extradition bid

Advertisement
By Agence France-Presse | Updated: 1 March 2013 18:27 IST
A New Zealand court on Friday overturned an order that US authorities must disclose all of the evidence they have against Kim Dotcom if they want to extradite him for alleged online piracy.

A court made the ruling last year after Dotcom's legal team argued they could not effectively fight the extradition battle without full disclosure of evidence held on the founder of the now-defunct Megaupload file-sharing website.

Lawyers representing the United States successfully challenged the ruling, arguing in the Court of Appeal that the evidence could involve billions of emails and would delay the extradition hearing.

The three judges on the appeals court bench quashed the order and said an accurate summary of the evidence would suffice at the hearing, which has already been delayed twice and is now expected to proceed in August.

Advertisement

"Obviously it's disappointing, there's some major legal arguments that we have to work through here," one of Dotcom's lawyers, Willie Akel, told Radio New Zealand.

Advertisement

Dotcom indicated on Twitter that he would launch another appeal against the decision.

"The fight goes on. Next is the Supreme Court of New Zealand," he tweeted.

Advertisement

It is the first reversal after a string of legal wins for Dotcom, who last year gained a court ruling that the search warrants police used when they raided his Auckland mansion as part of the operation against Megaupload were illegal.

The 39-year-old's file-sharing empire had 50 million daily visitors and accounted for four percent of all Internet traffic at its peak but was shut down after the raid in January last year.

Advertisement

Dotcom is free on bail and denies US allegations the Megaupload sites netted more than $175 million in criminal proceeds and cost copyright owners more than $500 million by offering pirated copies of movies, TV shows and other content.

The US Justice Department and FBI want Dotcom to face charges of racketeering fraud, money laundering and copyright theft in a US court, which could see him jailed for up to 20 years if convicted.

Dotcom, a German national who changed his name from Kim Schmitz, launched a successor to Megaupload, called Mega, in January this year.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Internet, Kim Dotcom, Megaupload
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  2. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  3. AI Impact Summit: From Registration to Schedule, All You Need to Know
  4. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  5. Oppo Find X10 Series Could Debut This Year With This iPhone-Like Feature
  6. Tecno Spark 50 4G Launch Timeline, Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  7. PS6 Could Reportedly be Delayed to 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  8. Lava Bold N2 Will Be Launched in India on This Date: See Expected Specs
  9. iPhone 18 Series May Arrive Without a Physical SIM Slot in This Region
  10. Deals on iPhone 17, Google Pixel 10 and More During Flipkart Sale
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.