Turkey keeps YouTube block despite court rulings

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 10 April 2014 16:28 IST
Turkish authorities defied court orders and reaffirmed a ban on YouTube imposed after the posting of illicit recordings of top secret security talks that was cited by Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan as part of a "dirty campaign" to topple him.

Authorities imposed the ban on Google's video-sharing site on March 27 in the build-up to local elections, after weeks of leaked wiretaps which had emerged online, allegedly uncovering corruption in Erdogan's inner circle. Erdogan emerged from the polls with his popularity largely intact.

Turkey's telecoms regulator said on Thursday it would not end a block on YouTube, despite court rulings lifting the ban.

Advertisement

"The measure blocking access to the youtube.com Internet site remains in place," the Information and Communications Technologies Authority (BTK) said in a statement on its website.

Access to Twitter had also been barred until the Constitutional Court ruled last week that this violated the law.

Erdogan accuses a U.S.-based Islamic cleric of using a network of supporters to orchestrate an Internet campaign and a police corruption investigation to undermine him. The cleric, Fethullah Gulen, denies any involvement and criticises Erdogan over a purge of his followers from state bodies.

Advertisement

Last Friday a lower court in Ankara ruled that the YouTube ban violated human rights and ordered most of the restrictions be lifted, citing the constitutional court ruling, and instead specifically blocked access to 15 videos.

Despite a prosecutor's challenge to lifting the ban, imposed on grounds of state security, a higher Ankara court also ruled on Wednesday in favour of removing the general block on YouTube.

Advertisement

However, the BTK said that while some of the offending links had been removed, access to others had only been blocked in Turkey and they could be viewed abroad.

It said the ban would remain place "because some of the said content continues to be available on the Internet site."

Advertisement

The posting that triggered the ban was an illicit audio recording of a meeting of top security officials at the Foreign Ministry over possible military intervention in Syria. Erdogan condemned the recording as an act of treason.

Erdogan, who has been battling the graft scandal swirling around his government since a police investigation emerged in December, has said the constitutional court decision on Twitter was wrong and should be overturned.

© Thomson Reuters 2014

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. New OTT Releases This Week: Dhurandhar: Raw and Uncut, Desi Bling, System, and More
  2. Google Pixel 11's Pixel Glow Feature May Have Appeared During Google I/O 2026
  3. Motorola Edge 70 Pro+ Will Launch in India Soon in These Three Colourways
  4. Portronics Launches Vayu Nano Tyre Inflator in India at This Price
  5. HMD Thunder Pro Design Renders Leaked Online Alongside Key Specifications
  6. Samsung Galaxy Buds Able Could Launch as Clip-On Open-Ear Earbuds: Report
  7. Gemini Users Left Frustrated as Google Shifts to Compute-Based Usage Limits
  1. Mysterious Stacked Rocks Spotted by NASA Perseverance Rover on Mars
  2. Meta Launches Forum App as a Reddit-Like Platform for Discussions With AI-Powered Assistant for Admins
  3. Xiaomi 17T Series Teased to Arrive in Two Display Variants; Colour Options Revealed Ahead of Debut
  4. Honor Magic 9 Series Could Feature 8,000mAh Batteries; Tipster Leaks Camera, Display Upgrades
  5. Google Might Sell Over 2 Million Android XR-Powered Smart Glasses This Year: Report
  6. Google's Pixel Glow Feature for the Google Pixel 11 May Have Accidentally Leaked During Google I/O 2026
  7. iQOO 16 Global and Indian Debut Seemingly Confirmed as Handset Gets Listed on IMEI Database: Report
  8. Motorola Edge 70 Pro+ Camera Details Confirmed, WIll Arrive in Three Colourways
  9. Oppo Reno 16 Bags BIS, TUV SUD and TDRA Certifications That Hint at Imminent Global Debut
  10. Infinity Ward Working on Next Call of Duty, Says It's Making 'Definitive Modern Warfare' Title
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.