US Can Keep Court Orders, Phone Companies Secret in NSA Spy Case

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 12 August 2014 10:02 IST
The U.S. government need not turn over a secret surveillance court's orders or the names of phone companies helping it collect call records, because it might reveal methods needed to protect national security, a federal judge decided on Monday.

U.S. District Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers in Oakland, California, rejected the Electronic Frontier Foundation's argument that the U.S. Department of Justice should turn over the materials, in the wake of unauthorized disclosures last year by a former National Security Agency contractor, Edward Snowden.

The EFF noted that the government had already declassified hundreds of pages of other documents discussing data collection under the U.S. Patriot Act, including some that the data privacy advocacy group had requested. These declassifications came after Snowden's leaks had been revealed.

Rogers, though, said disclosing orders of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, which handles federal requests for surveillance warrants, could "provide a roadmap" for targets of national security investigations to evade surveillance.

Advertisement

She also said the government's disclosure of "general" information about the call record collection program did not mitigate the "inherent risks to national security and government investigations" of revealing the phone companies' identities.

Advertisement

"Official confirmation of the existence of or general information about an intelligence program does not eliminate the dangers to national security of compelling disclosure of the program's details," she wrote.

The EFF had also argued that statements by people affiliated with the government, including a former member of a technology review panel who said "telephone companies like Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T" were required to turn over records to the NSA, justified the disclosures.

Advertisement

"We're disheartened that the court is allowing the government to keep the information secret," EFF staff lawyer Mark Rumold said in an interview. "It is quite likely that the government is still using the Patriot Act to obtain information, under different intelligence programs, in bulk."

The EFF will review whether to appeal, he added.

Rogers ruled in the EFF's favor on one issue, ordering the government to turn over a Jan. 4, 2010 memo discussing the interaction between the Patriot Act and the disclosure of information collected when compiling the census.

Advertisement

A Justice Department spokeswoman declined to comment.

Snowden's leaks have sparked a broad debate over the government's authority to collect personal data without violating people's privacy.

On Monday, the U.S. Office of the Director of National Intelligence released partially blacked-out versions of 38 documents relating to a now-discontinued NSA program to collect bulk electronic communications metadata.

The case is Electronic Frontier Foundation v. Department of Justice, U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, No. 11-05221.

© Thomson Reuters 2014

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  2. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  3. iPhone 18 Series May Arrive Without a Physical SIM Slot in This Region
  4. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With This Dimensity 8000 Series Chipset
  5. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  6. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  7. AI Impact Summit: From Registration to Schedule, All You Need to Know
  8. Tecno Spark 50 4G Launch Timeline, Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Could Debut This Year With This iPhone-Like Feature
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.