US Takes Aim at Cyber-Attacks From Connected Devices as Recalls Mount

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 25 October 2016 10:29 IST

Obama administration officials sought on Monday to reassure the public that it was taking steps to counter new types of cyber-attacks such as the one Friday that rendered Twitter, Spotify, Netflix and dozens of other major websites unavailable.

The Department of Homeland Security said it had held a conference call with 18 major communication service providers shortly after the attack began and was working to develop a new set of "strategic principles" for securing Internet-connected devices.

DHS said its National Cyber Security and Communications Integration Center was working with companies, law enforcement and researchers to cope with attacks made possible by the rapidly expanding number of smart gadgets that make up the "Internet of Things".

Advertisement

Such devices, including web-connected cameras, appliances and toys, have little in the way of security. More than a million of them have been commandeered by hackers, who can direct them to take down a target site by flooding it with junk traffic.

Advertisement

Several networks of compromised machines were directed to attack big customers of web infrastructure company Dyn last week, Dyn officials and security researchers said.

The disruption had subsided by late Friday night in America, and two of the manufacturers whose devices had been hijacked for the attack pledged Monday to try to fix them.

Advertisement

But security experts said that many of the devices would never be fixed and that the broader security threat posed by the Internet of Things would get worse before it gets better.

"If you expect to fix all the internet devices that are out there, force better passwords, install some mechanism for doing updates and add some native security for the operating system, you are going to be working a long time," said Ed Amoroso, founder of TAG Cyber and former chief security officer at AT&T.

Advertisement

Instead, Amoroso said he hoped that government officials would focus on recommending better software architecture and that business partners would insist on better standards.

In the meantime, fresh responses by two of the companies involved in the attacks illustrated the extent of the problem.

Chinese firm Hangzhou Xiongmai Technology Co Ltd, which makes components for surveillance cameras, said it would recall some products from the United States.

(Also see:  Xiongmai Says Its Cameras Were Used to Take Down the Internet)

Another Chinese company, Dahua Technology, acknowledged that some of its older cameras and video recorders were vulnerable to attacks when users had not changed the default passwords. Like Xiongmai, it said it would offer firmware updates on its website to fix the problem and would give discounts to customers who wanted to exchange their gear.

But neither company has anything like a comprehensive list of their customers, many of whom will never learn of the problems, said Dale Drew, chief security officer with communications provider Level 3.

"I wouldn't be surprised if the only way they are going to reach their consumers is through media reports, Drew said.

© Thomson Reuters 2016

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With This Dimensity 8000 Series Chipset
  2. Oppo K14x 5G With 6,500mAh Battery Goes on Sale in India: See Price, Offers
  3. Lava Bold N2 Will Be Launched in India on This Date: See Expected Specs
  4. iPhone 18 Series May Arrive Without a Physical SIM Slot in This Region
  5. Best TWS Earphones Under Rs 30,000: AirPods Pro 3, Sony WF-1000XM5, More
  6. This Govt-Approved Rs. 10,000 Crore Scheme to Bolster Indian Startups
  7. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  8. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  9. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.