Sri Lanka Lifts Social Media Ban, Imposed After Easter Sunday Bombings

Immediately after the bombings, authorities declared a state of emergency on the island.

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 30 April 2019 13:59 IST

Security forces patrol a street in central Colombo, Sri Lanka

Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena on Tuesday revoked the government's ban on social media use that was imposed throughout the island nation after the April 21 Easter Sunday bombings that killed 253 people.

A statement from the government's information department said that Sirisena had ordered to lift the temporary ban, which had been applied in the immediate aftermath of the attacks, reports Efe news.

In the brief statement, the head of the department, Nalaka Kaluwewa, said the government was appealing social media users to "be responsible in their usage of social media sites even though the ban has been lifted".

Advertisement

"The decision to ban social media was taken immediately after the attacks. Now after analysing
(the situation), the government is of the view that it can be lifted," Kaluwewa told Efe.

Advertisement

"Further, we have to look at returning to normalcy and this decision (to revoke the ban) was connected to that as well."

However, he warned that "whoever shares misinformation has to take responsibility for whatever they share".

Advertisement

"Under the emergency regulations which are in force, the spreading of misinformation can be addressed and action can be taken against those who share such matter," Kaluwewa added.

Immediately after the bombings, authorities declared a state of emergency on the island and blocked social media services and messaging apps such as Facebook, WhatsApp, Viber, and Snapchat, arguing that such platforms were being used to spread misinformation and rumours across cyberspace to trigger violence.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  2. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  3. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  4. PS6 Could Reportedly be Delayed to 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  5. Lava Bold N2 Will Be Launched in India on This Date: See Expected Specs
  6. Oppo K14x 5G With 6,500mAh Battery Goes on Sale in India: See Price, Offers
  7. Tecno Spark 50 4G Launch Timeline, Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.