London Court Allows Mass Claim Against Google Over iPhone Data

London's High Court ruled last year that Google's alleged role was wrongful, but claimants had not suffered "damage".

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 3 October 2019 19:00 IST

London's Court of Appeal gave the go-ahead for action against Google over claims it collected data from more than 4 million iPhone users, overturning a ruling in 2018 that in effect blocked any route to legal redress.

The claimants said Google, a unit of Alphabet, had illegally accessed details of Apple iPhone users' internet browsing data by bypassing privacy settings on the Safari browser between June 2011 and February 2012.

London's High Court ruled in October 2018 that Google's alleged role in the collection, collation and use of data from the browser was wrongful and a breach of duty, but claimants had not suffered "damage" as specified by Britain's Data Protection Act.

Advertisement

James Oldnall, lead lawyer on the case, said the Court of Appeal decision had "confirmed our view that representative actions are essential for holding corporate giants to account".

Advertisement

Richard Lloyd, the representative claimant in the mass action, said Wednesday's judgment "sends a very clear message to Google and other large tech companies: you are not above the law."

"Google can be held to account in this country for misusing people's personal data, and groups of consumers can together ask the courts for redress when firms profit unlawfully from 'repeated and widespread' violations of our data protection rights," he added.

Advertisement

Lloyd also said he expected a lengthy legal process.

Google said protecting the privacy and security of its users had always been its number one priority.

Advertisement

"This case relates to events that took place nearly a decade ago and that we addressed at the time," a spokeswoman said. "We believe it has no merit and should be dismissed."

© Thomson Reuters 2019

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Google, London
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Tipster Leaks Details of the Oppo Find X9 Ultra, Vivo X300 Ultra Cameras
  2. Xiaomi Teases a New Computing Device, New Tablet Expected to Launch Soon
  3. OTT Releases of the Week (Feb 16 - Feb 22): Know What to Watch This Weekend
  4. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased; Might Launch With This Chip
  5. Redmi A7 Bags Thailand's NBTC Certification, Could Launch Soon
  6. Here's When Xiaomi Will Launch the Xiaomi 17 and Xiaomi 17 Ultra Globally
  1. Astronomers Find ‘Impossible’ Galaxy ACDG-2 With Virtually No Stars and a Massive Dark Matter Core
  2. Google Pixel Call Recording Reportedly Available in Additional Regions Ahead of Global Expansion
  3. Oppo Find X9 Ultra, Vivo X300 Ultra Leak: Tipster Shares Details of Anticipated 200-Megapixel Cameras
  4. Redmi A7 Could Launch Soon as Handset Bags Thailand’s NBTC Certification
  5. Poco X8 Pro, Poco X8 Pro Max Design and Colour Options Seen in Leaked Renders
  6. Hello Bachhon OTT Release Date: When and Where to Watch Vineet Kumar Singh Starrer Online?
  7. Xiaomi Teases India Launch of New Computing Device; New Tablet With Keyboard or Laptop Expected
  8. Realme C83 5G India Price, RAM and Storage Configurations Leaked Online
  9. Xiaomi 17 Series Global Launch Date Announced; Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Expected to Debut
  10. Google Blocked 266 Million Risky App Installs, Prevented 1.75 Million Policy-Violating Apps in 2025
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.