Honda Crafts Nissan Rescue Plan That Plays Out Over Years

Nissan’s shares fell as much as 7.3 percent at the market open in Tokyo on Tuesday

Advertisement
By Nicholas Takahashi and Tsuyoshi Inajima, Bloomberg News | Updated: 24 December 2024 17:53 IST
Highlights
  • Shares of Honda rose by 14.4 percent at the market open in Tokyo
  • Honda and Nissan merger deal may be concluded in 2025
  • A rescue by Honda would avert total disaster for Nissan and Mitsubishi

The two announced a tentative agreement Monday to set up a joint holding company

Photo Credit: Bloomberg

Honda Motor sketched plans for a drawn-out deal that amounts to an acquisition of Nissan Motor, as Japan's automakers struggle to keep up in an increasingly competitive global car industry.
The two announced a tentative agreement Monday to set up a joint holding company that will aim to list shares in August 2026. While their executives called the transaction a merger, Honda will take the lead in forming the new entity and nominate a majority of its directors. Nissan's partner Mitsubishi Motors may also participate in the deal.

Nissan's shares fell as much as 7.3 percent at the market open in Tokyo on Tuesday. Honda rose 14.4 percent.

Advertisement

“On the face of it, it's a takeover,” said Neal Ganguli, a partner and managing director at advisory firm AlixPartners' automotive and industrial practice. “Scale definitely has advantages, and folks are going to have to take notice.”

Honda and Nissan both are having trouble contending with ascendant domestic automakers in China, which surpassed Japan as the world's largest car-exporting nation last year and is pulling further ahead in 2024. Honda Chief Executive Officer Toshihiro Mibe spoke to the level of difficulty ahead for the companies when he said during a press conference that their goal is to be competitive by 2030.

Advertisement

“Honda and Nissan merger synergies will take time to emerge if a deal is concluded in 2025,” Tatsuo Yoshida, a senior industry analyst for Bloomberg Intelligence, said in a note. “Nissan may get relief from its financial strain, while Honda's near-term benefits may be limited.”

Honda did offer something of a sweetener for its shareholders, announcing plans to buy back as much as JPY 1.1 trillion ($7 billion or roughly Rs. 59,632 crore) of its stock by this time next year. The upper limit of the buyback amounts to 24 percent of issued shares.

Advertisement

A rescue by Honda would avert total disaster for Nissan and Mitsubishi Motors, whose standings have deteriorated since the arrest of their former Chairman Carlos Ghosn in November 2018. Just over a year after Nissan accused its longtime leader of financial misconduct, he fled Japan for Lebanon.

Ghosn, 70, has denied all charges and alleged Nissan defamed him.

Advertisement

Mitsubishi Motors, which is 24.5 percent owned by Nissan, signed a preliminary agreement to explore joining the deal with Honda, saying it expects to firm up the decision by the end of January.

Honda's stock closed up 3.8 percent on Monday in Tokyo, recouping much of its loss since the deal talks were first reported last week. Shares of Nissan and Mitsubishi Motors rose 1.6 percent and 5.3 percent, respectively.

Combining the three companies would create one of the world's largest carmakers, though the group would still be smaller than Japan's Toyota Motor Joining forces also could bolster their efforts to ward off Chinese manufacturers led by BYD, which is now among the world's leading electric-vehicle manufacturers.

Nissan's biggest shareholder, France's Renault SA, acknowledged its longtime alliance partner's announcement, saying the talks with Honda were still at an early stage.

Renault, which owns 36 percent of Nissan, also said in a statement that it will consider all options and continue executing its strategy, which includes joint projects with Nissan.

Honda's CEO Mibe said combining with Nissan would generate billions of yen in incremental operating profit, though he didn't offer timelines. The 63-year-old executive also didn't address how the companies would deal with pressing issues such as closing factories.

“Both companies will continue as wholly owned subsidiaries of the joint holding company with their respective brands in place,” Mibe said.

Honda's share buyback supersedes a previously announced plan to repurchase ¥100 billion worth of stock from Nov. 7 of this year through October 2025. The large buyback is being launched now because Honda's ability to repurchase shares is expected to be restricted during the lead-up to the deal the companies aim to close in 2026.

Nissan has withered in the years since Ghosn's ouster, squandering its position as an early contender in the shift to fully electric vehicles.

In China, the soaring popularity of locally made EVs has left some foreign brands fighting for survival. Honda and Nissan both have had to pare back staffing and production, while Mitsubishi Motors has all but pulled out of the world's biggest car market.

Nissan also has been on the back foot amid a resurgence in popularity of gas-electric hybrid cars in the US. While Toyota dominates the powertrain segment, Honda is relatively well positioned and could provide a welcome boost.

The combination of falling sales in the US and China has been devastating for Nissan, leading the company to cut thousands of jobs, slash production capacity and lower its annual profit outlook by 70 percent.

“Partnering with Honda isn't a sign that we're giving up on our plans to turn Nissan around,” Nissan CEO Makoto Uchida said Monday.

Nissan was rescued from its last financial crisis more than two decades ago, when Renault swooped in with a cash injection and dispatched Ghosn to orchestrate a turnaround. The exiled executive weighed in on the deal talks from Beirut, telling Bloomberg Television last week that Nissan is in “panic mode.”

Speaking to the Foreign Correspondents' Club of Japan via teleconference on Monday, Ghosn pointed out that Nissan's unit sales have fallen more than 40 percent since 2018 and the carmaker is barely breaking even.

Nissan's Uchida and Honda's Mibe said they didn't know anything about Hon Hai Precision Co., the Taiwan-based iPhone maker known as Foxconn, having interest in taking over Nissan.

People familiar with the matter said last week that Foxconn sent a delegation to meet with Renault in France. However, Foxconn has put its interest in pursuing Nissan on hold while negotiations with Honda play out, one person said.

© 2024 Bloomberg LP

(This story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Nissan, Honda, Japan, Merger, Mitsubishi
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Oppo Find X9s vs Vivo X300 FE vs OnePlus 15: Price and Features Compared
  2. Oppo Find X9 Ultra Launches in India With Hasselblad-Tuned Camera Setup
  3. Xiaomi 17 Max Debuts With 8,000mAh Battery, Leica-Tuned Cameras: See Price
  4. Gemini Offers Agentic Design Creation With New Adobe and Canva Connectors
  5. Oppo Enco Air 5 Pro With 12mm Drivers Arrives in India at This Price
  6. Xiaomi Smart Band 10 Pro With 1.74-Inch AMOLED Screen Debuts at This Price
  7. Apple's Big Health Move in India: Watch, AirPods Pro Get New Features
  8. HMD Vibe 2 5G Launched in India With 6,000mAh Battery
  9. Oppo Reno 16 Series Camera Details Teased, Might Launch in India Soon
  10. Vivo X500 Pro Max Might Launch This Year With an 8,000mAh Battery
  1. Madhu Vidhu OTT Release: Where to Watch, Plot, Cast, IMDb Rating, and More
  2. Maa Behen OTT Release Revealed: When and Where to Watch it Online?
  3. LOL: Last One Laughing Germany Season 7 Out on OTT: Know Where to Watch it Online
  4. Warrant: From the World of Vilangu OTT Release Date: When and Where to Watch it Online?
  5. Xiaomi Clip Open-Ear Earbuds Launched With LHDC 5.0 Audio, Up to 38 Hours Total Battery Life: Price, Specifications
  6. Sathi Leelavathi Now Streaming on SunNXT: Everything You Need to Know About Plot, Cast, and More
  7. Xiaomi Smart Band 10 Pro Launched With 1.74-Inch AMOLED Screen, Up to 21 Days Battery Life: Price, Features
  8. Honor Developing Wide-Foldable Phone With Snapdragon 8 Elite Gen 6 SoC, Tipster Claims
  9. Google’s Gemini Offers Agentic Design Creation With New Adobe and Canva Connectors
  10. Xiaomi 17 Max Launched With 8,000mAh Battery, Leica-Tuned 200-Megapixel Rear Camera: Price, Specifications
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.