Kenya Orders Sam Altman's World to Delete Citizens' Biometric Data Within 7 Days

The World project, headquartered in the US, aims to assign “World IDs” to global citizens as an “international proof of personhood”.

Advertisement
Written by Radhika Parashar, Edited by Manas Mitul | Updated: 6 May 2025 15:44 IST
Highlights
  • The World.org site shows over 12 million "unique humans" registered 
  • The project uses its own eye-scanning device named "Orb" 
  • Its official website shows registrations from over 160 countries 

Kenya is the first country to bring the World project under investigative scrutiny

Photo Credit: Reuters

Kenya has ordered Sam Altman's World Web3 project to delete collected biometric data of its nationals. The Nairobi High Court said that the controversial human ID project failed to acquire valid consent from the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner (ODPC) before obtaining the eye scans of Kenyan citizens to give them their World IDs. Neither World nor Altman have reacted to the development yet.

The World project, headquartered in the US, aims to assign “World IDs” to global citizens as an “international proof of personhood.” These IDs will eliminate the need for people to share their personal details for web-based interactions.

In August last year, representatives of the project had set up booths in several parts of the world to collect iris scans of people through its own one-of-a-kind machine called the Orb. Spain and Germany are among other regions that have flagged World's biometric collection as problematic in the past.

Here's What Happened

Justice Aburili Roselyne has directed the World project to permanently delete the facial images and eye scans of its Kenyan subscribers. A window of seven days has been issued for World to comply with the court's orders. A designated data protection officer will be overseeing the process.

Advertisement

The court has further prohibited World from collecting any more biometric data from Kenyan citizens.

The Katiba Institute and the International Commission of Jurists (ICJ Kenya) spearheaded the case against the World project, arguing that its data collection practices were invasive and risky.

Advertisement

Joshua Malidzo Nyawa, a counsel for the Katiba Institute, has called the development a winning moment for the right to privacy. The institute also posted a detailed overview of the court's verdict on X (formerly Twitter).

> JUDGMENT: High Court safeguards the right to privacy
>
> Today, Lady Justice Aburili Roselyne has allowed our Judicial Review Application, where we challenged the collection, processing, and transfer of iris and facial images (biometric data)using the World Coin App and the Orb… https://t.co/7SisPV7ZCd> > — Katiba Institute (@katibainstitute) May 5, 2025

Altman's response to Kenya's decision remains awaited for now.

Advertisement

Kenya's History With the World Project

In 2023, Kenya became first country in the world to bring the World project, previously called “Worldcoin”, under investigative scrutiny. However, in 2024, the country vaguely ended its probe on Altman's Web3 project.

In June 2024, Kenyan authorities told Altman to register his World project with the Office of the Data Protection Commission (ODPC) and the Communication Authority of Kenya (CAK).

However, the Katiba Institute and the ICJ Kenya reached out to the High Court alleging that the project is violating the rights of the Kenyan citizens by collecting their data without the necessary government permissions. The two parties submitted their arguments to the court in March 2025.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Cryptocurrency, World, Sam Altman, Kenya 
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Realme P4s 5G to Launch in India on August 26 With These Features
  2. iQOO Z11S Launched With 10,000mAh Battery, 144Hz AMOLED Display
  3. Gboard Rambler Usage Limit Explained: What Happens After the Cap
  4. Realme 17 Pro+ Display, Triple Rear Camera Details Surface Online
  5. iQOO Neo 11 Ultra Debuts With Dimensity 9500M Chip
  6. Poco M8x 5G Will Launch in India in These Colour Options
  7. BGMI Lite Pre-Registrations for Android Users to Open on August 25
  8. Vivo's OriginOS 7 Leak Reveals New Glass Styles, Control Centre Tweaks
  1. Vivo's Android-17 Based OriginOS 7 Could Get Liquid Glass UI and More Customisation Options
  2. Nexo Australia Begins Offering Credit Lines Against Cryptocurrency Collateral
  3. WhatsApp Could Soon Let You Expand Photos to 9:16 Format on Android Using Meta AI
  4. Poco M8x 5G Colour Options, Durability Details and More Announced Ahead of India Launch
  5. OnePlus 16 Display Details Again Leaked Online; Tipped to Feature ColorOS 17
  6. Google Says Gboard Rambler Switches to Offline Mode After Usage Limit: Report
  7. Maya Protocol Loses $11 Million in Pool Value After Exploit Drains Bitcoin and Other Assets
  8. Poco F9 Ultra Appears in Leaked Diagram; Tipped to Be More Expensive Than Earlier Anticipated
  9. Vivo T5 Pro 5G Gets Another Price Hike, Now Up to Rs. 30,000 More Expensive Than at Launch
  10. Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 8 Ultra and More Get August 2026 Security Patch: Report
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.