Google Not Liable in Defamation Case, Australian Court Overturns Previous Ruling

Google was sued by lawyer George Defteros in a state court, which earlier Google to pay AUD 40,000 (roughly Rs.22,13,400).

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 17 August 2022 15:52 IST
Highlights
  • Google wins defamation battle in Australia
  • Google "does not own or control the Internet", the panel judges wrote
  • The lawyer sued in a state court which found Google was a publisher

As per ruling, Google played a part in publishing disputed article by acting as a "library" housing it

Australia's highest court overturned on Wednesday a ruling that had found Google engaged in defamation by supplying a link to a contested newspaper article, throwing the spotlight again on how online libel cases are handled in the country.

The seven-judge panel of the High Court of Australia voted 5-2 to throw out an earlier finding that the Alphabet unit played a part in publishing the disputed article by acting as a "library" housing it, saying the website had no active role.

The decision brings fresh confusion to a question that has been simmering in Australia for years about where liability rests for online defamation. A years-long review of the country's libel law is yet to give a final recommendation on whether large platforms like Google and Meta Platforms' Facebook should be accountable.

Advertisement

The case stems from a 2004 article which suggested that a criminal defence lawyer had crossed professional lines and become a "confidant" of criminals, according to the published judgment. The lawyer, George Defteros, found a link to the story in a 2016 Google search of his name and had Google remove it after it was viewed by 150 people, the judgment said.

Advertisement

Defteros sued in a state court which found Google was a publisher and ordered it to pay him AUD 40,000 (roughly Rs.22,13,400). Google appealed the judgment, culminating in Wednesday's decision.

"The Underworld article was not written by any employee or agent of the appellant," two of the panel judges wrote in Wednesday's ruling, the appellant being Google.

Advertisement

"It was written by a reporter with no connection to the appellant, and published by an independent newspaper over which the appellant had no control or influence."

Google "does not own or control the Internet", they wrote.

Advertisement

A Google spokesperson was not immediately available for comment.

Defteros said in a statement that the process had been "long, drawn out, expensive and extremely stressful" but he felt vindicated because the court agreed the article was defamatory even though Google was not liable.

The ruling comes after the High Court last year found a newspaper publisher liable for defamatory comments left beneath an article that it had posted on Facebook.

The difference between the 2021 Facebook case and Wednesday's case was that the media companies last year "invited and encouraged comment", while Google "did not provide a forum or place where it could be communicated, nor did it encourage the writing of comment in response", the judges wrote.

© Thomson Reuters 2022


Is Pixel 6a the best camera phone under Rs. 50,000? We discuss this on Orbital, the Gadgets 360 podcast. Orbital is available on Spotify, Gaana, JioSaavn, Google Podcasts, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music and wherever you get your podcasts.
Affiliate links may be automatically generated - see our ethics statement for details.
 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Google, Meta, Alphabet
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  2. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  3. AI Impact Summit: From Registration to Schedule, All You Need to Know
  4. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  5. Oppo Find X10 Series Could Debut This Year With This iPhone-Like Feature
  6. Tecno Spark 50 4G Launch Timeline, Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  7. PS6 Could Reportedly be Delayed to 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  8. Lava Bold N2 Will Be Launched in India on This Date: See Expected Specs
  9. iPhone 18 Series May Arrive Without a Physical SIM Slot in This Region
  10. Deals on iPhone 17, Google Pixel 10 and More During Flipkart Sale
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.