White House unveils plan to end bulk collection of phone data by NSA

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 28 March 2014 07:55 IST
The Obama administration on Thursday announced details of its plan to end the government's vast bulk collection of data about phone calls made in the United States, including new procedures to get judicial approval before asking phone companies for such records.

Under the plan, telephone companies would have to provide data from their records quickly and in a usable format when requested by the government, a senior administration official told reporters. It would also allow the government to seek the data without a court order in a national security emergency.

"I am confident that this approach can provide our intelligence and law enforcement professionals the information they need to keep us safe while addressing the legitimate privacy concerns that have been raised," President Barack Obama said in a statement about the plan, which needs approval from Congress.

Obama has been under pressure to rein in surveillance since former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden last year disclosed classified details about how the government gathers intelligence, sparking an international uproar about privacy rights.

Advertisement

He announced his initial response to the debate in January, including a ban on eavesdropping on the leaders of allied nations.

Advertisement

On Thursday, the administration provided additional details about its plans for telephone records known as metadata. Such records document which telephone number called which other number, when the calls were made and how long they lasted. Metadata does not include the content of the calls.

Under the proposal, once the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court approves gathering records associated with a phone number, phone companies could be required to turn over data associated with that number on an "ongoing and prospective" basis, a senior administration official said on a conference call.

Advertisement

Companies would be compelled to provide technical assistance to the government to query the records, and may be compensated in a way that is consistent with current procedures, the official said.

The administration will ask the court to allow it to operate its existing program for at least another 90 days, as Congress weighs legislation.

Advertisement

"We would hope that the Congress would take something up very expeditiously," the official said.

© Thomson Reuters 2014

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Lava Bold N2 Will Be Launched in India on This Date: See Expected Specs
  2. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  3. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  4. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  5. Oppo K14x 5G With 6,500mAh Battery Goes on Sale in India: See Price, Offers
  6. Samsung's 'Wide' Galaxy Z Fold Design Spotted in Leaked One UI 9 Animations
  7. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  8. Tecno Spark 50 4G Launch Timeline, Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  9. AI Impact Summit: From Registration to Schedule, All You Need to Know
  10. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With This Dimensity 8000 Series Chipset
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.