Samsung's Phone Fortunes Wane as COVID-19 Hits 5G Phones in Europe and US

Samsung's American arch-rival Apple now looks better positioned as China, which accounts for roughly 15 percent of its revenues has reopened shops.

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 30 April 2020 18:24 IST
Highlights
  • Samsung warned of a significant drop in mobile earnings in Q2
  • Samsung said it would boost mid, lower-end 5G models offerings globally
  • It captured nearly three-quarters of global 5G phone sales last year

Analysts are nonetheless worried about the company's prospects this year.

When the coronavirus outbreak in China disrupted global smartphone production in February, Samsung looked set to weather the crisis better than most thanks to its limited exposure there and launches of pricey 5G phones. Its fortunes are reversing.

The world's biggest smartphone vendor, Samsung Electronics in full, warned on Wednesday of a significant drop in mobile earnings in the second quarter, as recession fears dampen demand for high-end models and carriers in major markets delay the rollouts of fast 5G networks.

The COVID-19 pandemic is hitting all vendors hard. But Samsung's strategy of focusing on 5G in advanced markets like Europe and the United States - it captured nearly three-quarters of global 5G phone sales last year - plus dwindling market share in some emerging markets could put it in a deeper quagmire.

Advertisement

By contrast, American arch-rival Apple now looks better positioned as China, which accounts for roughly 15 percent of its revenues has reopened shops.

Advertisement

By contrast, the reopening has had limited upside for Samsung as the country accounts for a small fraction of its business; it does not break out China revenue, but it accounts for less than 1 percent of its phone shipments.

Apple, whose lack of a 5G model has been seen as a key disadvantage versus Samsung, has also launched a new budget iPhone SE model that many analysts predict will prove popular among consumers in a recession.

Advertisement

The California-based tech giant reports quarterly results on Thursday.

Second quarter
Samsung's total smartphone shipments fell by 18 percent in the first quarter from a year earlier. But a higher proportion of premium and 5G phone shipments, as well as lower marketing costs, helped profits rise 17 percent at its mobile division, which includes phones and mobile network equipment.

Advertisement

Profits were resilient in first quarter when the industry impact from COVID-19 was largely down to the outbreak in China, analysts said. However the company faces deep pain in the second quarter which will show the hit to its business from the spread of the virus in Europe and the United States, its strongholds for premium phones, they added.

"The problem is Samsung's mobile business will be really bad," said Park Sung-soon, an analyst at Cape Investment & Securities. "It will recover in the second half, but not as strongly as Apple."

Lee Jong-min, a Samsung vice president, touched on the difficulties on Wednesday.

"Although there are signs that the spread of the coronavirus in North America and Europe is slowing down, it is too soon to be relieved," he told analysts. "Also, as it takes some time for the economy to recover, it is difficult to forecast how much of a demand drop we will see in the second quarter."

'Heartbreaking'
Samsung said the deployment of 5G networks were being delayed in India, the United States and Europe because of lockdown measures there.

In China, it expects a boost in 5G spending due to government stimulus measures, but analysts say the policies will benefit local rivals such as Huawei and Xiaomi more.

In India, where smartphone shipments jumped 12 percent in the first quarter despite the impact of a nationwide lockdown in the final week of March, Samsung further ceded market share, becoming No.3 vendor after China's Xiaomi and Vivo.

Samsung is set to face further competition in those two markets, not just from Chinese rivals but also Apple, which launched lower-priced $399 (Rs. 42,500 in India) SE model this month.

Samsung's CEO Koh Dong-jin said in late March that it aimed to reclaim its No.1 position in India by offering a wider range of models. The company also plans to boost sales of premium models in China, he added, describing its sluggish sales there as "heartbreaking".

Samsung said on Wednesday it would also boost offerings of mid and lower-end 5G models globally, while launching new premium models as scheduled in the second half of the year, including the Note and a foldable phone.

Some analysts are nonetheless worried about the company's prospects this year.

"While I am concerned about overall mobile demand, I am more worried about (Samsung's) flagship phones, as the chances they will sell well in advanced markets are fading," said Kim Ro-ko, at Hana Financial Investment.

© Thomson Reuters 2020


In 2020, will WhatsApp get the killer feature that every Indian is waiting for? Samsung Galaxy S20 in India? We discussed this on Orbital, our weekly technology podcast, which you can subscribe to via Apple Podcasts or RSS, download the episode, or just hit the play button below.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Tipster Leaks Details of the Oppo Find X9 Ultra, Vivo X300 Ultra Cameras
  2. Xiaomi Teases a New Computing Device, New Tablet Expected to Launch Soon
  3. Samsung Galaxy S26 Series Roundup: Here's Everything That We Know So Far
  1. Phil Spencer Retires as Microsoft Names AI Executive Asha Sharma as Gaming CEO in Xbox Shake-Up
  2. Astronomers Find ‘Impossible’ Galaxy ACDG-2 With Virtually No Stars and a Massive Dark Matter Core
  3. Google Pixel Call Recording Reportedly Available in Additional Regions Ahead of Global Expansion
  4. Oppo Find X9 Ultra, Vivo X300 Ultra Leak: Tipster Shares Details of Anticipated 200-Megapixel Cameras
  5. Redmi A7 Could Launch Soon as Handset Bags Thailand’s NBTC Certification
  6. Poco X8 Pro, Poco X8 Pro Max Design and Colour Options Seen in Leaked Renders
  7. Hello Bachhon OTT Release Date: When and Where to Watch Vineet Kumar Singh Starrer Online?
  8. Xiaomi Teases India Launch of New Computing Device; New Tablet With Keyboard or Laptop Expected
  9. Realme C83 5G India Price, RAM and Storage Configurations Leaked Online
  10. Xiaomi 17 Series Global Launch Date Announced; Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Expected to Debut
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.