Donald Trump Calls for Apple Boycott Until Firm Unlocks Shooter's iPhone

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 20 February 2016 10:53 IST
Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump called on Friday for a boycott of Apple Inc products until the tech company agreed to help the US government unlock the cellphone of one of the killers in last year's San Bernardino, California, shooting.

"Boycott Apple until such time as they give that information," Trump said at a campaign event in Pawleys Island, South Carolina. "It just occurred to me."

Trump, front-runner for the Republican nomination ahead of the November 8 presidential election, made the off-the-cuff comment at a town hall-style event at a country club, a day before the state's nominating contest.

Even as he was still speaking, Trump's campaign posted on his Twitter handle (@real Donald Trump) from an iPhone, with the timestamp labeled "via Twitter for iPhone."

Advertisement

Trump later posted on Twitter that he used both an iPhone and a Samsung device.

Advertisement

In response, senior Apple executives, on a call with reporters on Friday, said they felt they were in good company given the other groups and people Trump has criticized in the past. They defended encryption as a way to protect Apple customers' rights.

It was not the first attack on the world's best-known technology company by the real estate mogul and reality TV personality. Trump has previously been critical of Apple, which has its headquarters in Cupertino, California, for not producing enough of its products in the United States.

Advertisement

"We're gonna get Apple to start building their damn computers and things in this country, instead of in other countries," Trump said in a January speech at Liberty University in Virginia.

Apple is resisting US government demands that it unlock an iPhone used by Rizwan Farook, who along with his wife, Tashfeen Malik, shot and killed 14 people and wounded 22 others at a holiday party in San Bernardino last December.

Advertisement

(Also see:  Profit or Patriotism? What's Driving Fight Between US, Apple)

Trump made his comments as the US Department of Justice filed a motion seeking to force Apple to comply with a judge's order for the company to unlock the phone, portraying the tech company's refusal as a "marketing strategy."

The filing increased tension in a showdown between the Obama administration and Silicon Valley over security and privacy. The government has said the couple were sympathizers of Islamic State militants and wants to open the phone to find out more about possible connections and contacts.

"If Apple doesn't give the information to the authorities on the radical Islamic terrorists, I'll only be using a Samsung - until such time as they give the information," Trump tweeted.

"Hopefully others will follow suit. Our country needs and should demand security. It is time to get tough and be smart!"

It was not the first time Trump has called for a boycott. In November, he lobbied for a Starbucks Corp boycott because the coffee chain's red holiday cups lacked Christmas-related decorations.

He has repeatedly urged people not to shop at Macy's after the department store dropped his signature business clothing line because of comments he made about Mexicans.

© Thomson Reuters 2016

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. OTT Releases of the Week (Feb 16 - Feb 22): Know What to Watch This Weekend
  2. Adobe Lets Students in India Access Photoshop, Acrobat and Firefly for Free
  3. Samsung Galaxy A37, Galaxy A57 India Launch Timeline, Specifications Tipped; Spotted on IM
  4. Vivo V70 Elite, V70 Launched in India With 6,500mAh Batteries: See Prices
  5. Nothing Phone 4a, Phone 4a Pro to Reportedly Share Chipset, Battery Specs
  6. Vivo V70 Elite Review: Vivo's V-Series Goes 'Elite'
  1. WhatsApp Rolls Out Group Message History Feature for Easy Onboarding of New Members
  2. Lunar Surface Is Cracking as New Tectonic Map Reveals Recent Ridges Stretching Across the Moon, Study Suggests
  3. Nothing Phone 4a Series Confirmed to Launch With Snapdragon Chipsets: Expected Specifications, Features
  4. Tu Meri Main Tera Main Tera Tu Meri Out on OTT: Where to Watch Kartik Aaryan, Ananya Panday’s Rom-Com?
  5. AI Impact Summit: Adobe Offers Indian Students Free Access to Photoshop, Acrobat and Firefly Apps
  6. Meta Reportedly Plans Smartwatch Launch in 2026 With Meta AI, Health Tracking Features
  7. Infinix Xpad 30E Launched With 11-Inch Display, 7,000mAh Battery: Price, Specifications
  8. The Elder Scrolls 6 Will Return to Bethesda's 'Classic Style' After Fallout 76 and Starfield, Says Todd Howard
  9. Nothing Phone 4a, Phone 4a Pro to Reportedly Share Battery, Camera, and Chipset as Specifications Surface
  10. Psycho Saiyaan Streams for Free on MX Player Soon: What to Know About Tejasswi Prakash’s Digital Debut
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.