FBI Decides Provisionally Not to Share iPhone Hack Method: Reports

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 27 April 2016 10:10 IST
Highlights
  • FBI paid more than $1 million for a tool to crack the iPhone.
  • The FBI contractor did not share details of the hacking mechanism.
  • The contract did not include rights to the software flaws.
The FBI has provisionally decided not to share an iPhone unlocking mechanism used by a contractor to open the phone of one of the San Bernardino shooters because the agency does not own the mechanism, two US government sources said on Tuesday.

The FBI is expected within days to write to the White House explaining why the agency cannot share the unlocking mechanism with other government agencies, Apple or other third parties, said the sources, who asked to remain anonymous.

Several US government sources said the FBI contractor that unlocked the shooter's phone was a foreign entity and did not give US authorities details of the mechanism. Without that, the FBI could not share it even if it wanted to, sources said.

Reuters reported on April 13 that the unnamed contractor had sole ownership of the method it used, making it unlikely that the government could share it.

Advertisement

A day later, the FBI warned Apple of a separate flaw in its iPhone and Mac software, the company told Reuters on Tuesday.

Advertisement

It was the first time the government had alerted Apple to a vulnerability under a White House interagency procedure, known as the Vulnerabilities Equities Process, for reviewing technology security flaws and deciding which ones should be made public, the company said.

The FBI's provisional decision means that the unlocking mechanism used on the San Bernardino iPhone will not be referred to the interagency procedure for review.

Advertisement

Earlier on Tuesday, FBI Director James Comey said his agency was assessing whether the mechanism would go through the review. "We are in the midst of trying to sort that out," Comey said.

Officials have said that the interagency review process leans towards disclosure of technological flaws. But it is not set up to handle or reveal flaws which are discovered and owned by private companies, sources have told Reuters.

Advertisement

Comey's comments appeared to confirm the FBI did not own the method used to crack the county-owned work phone belonging to Syed Farook, who with his wife opened fire in December on a San Bernardino, Calif., holiday party, killing 14 and wounding 22.

The method instead belongs to a still-unidentified third party that the FBI said came forward due to the attention received from its public pursuit of a court order to compel Apple's assistance in unlocking the phone.

Apple's refusal to comply prompted a high-profile standoff and fuelled a long-simmering debate over security, privacy and law enforcement access to encrypted technology.

The government withdrew its case after it said the hacking method worked. Comey has said the method works on a "narrow slice" of iPhone 5c devices running iOS 9.

An Apple senior executive told reporters earlier this month that it was confident the flaw used by the third party would have a "short shelf life" and be patched through the firm's ongoing efforts to improve the security of its devices.

© Thomson Reuters 2016

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Apple, Apple vs FBI, Encryption, FBI, Mobiles, iPhone
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Apple Reportedly Announces 'Special Experience' on March 4
  2. Galaxy S26 Series Benchmarks Highlight Snapdragon-Exynos Performance Gap
  3. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  4. Lava Bold N2 Will Be Launched in India on This Date: See Expected Specs
  5. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With This Dimensity 8000 Series Chipset
  6. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  7. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  8. Kingdom Come: Deliverance Gets a Next-Gen Update on PS5, Xbox Series S/X
  9. Oppo K14x 5G With 6,500mAh Battery Goes on Sale in India: See Price, Offers
  1. Vivo V60 Lite 4G (2026) Launched With Snapdragon 6s Gen 2 Chip and 6,500mAh Battery
  2. Snapdragon-Powered Galaxy S26 Ultra Leads Exynos-Powered S26 in Early Benchmarks: Report
  3. Apple Reportedly Announces ‘Special Experience’ on March 4; May Launch iPhone 17e, Low-Cost MacBook
  4. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  5. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  6. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  7. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  8. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  9. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  10. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.