Elon Musk Warns of Twitter Bankruptcy Amid Senior Executive Exodus, US FTC Warning

The US Federal Trade Commission said it was watching Twitter with "deep concern" after the three privacy and compliance officers quit.

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 11 November 2022 12:09 IST
Highlights
  • The US Federal Trade Commission said it was watching Twitter
  • Twitter has $13 billion (roughly Rs. 1,04,815 crore) in debt
  • Musk has begun charging $8 (roughly Rs. 650) a month

Musk ruthlessly moved to clean house after taking over on October 27

Twitter's new owner Elon Musk on Thursday raised the possibility of the social media platform going bankrupt, capping a chaotic day that included a warning from a US privacy regulator and the exit of the company's trust and safety leader.

The billionaire on his first mass call with employees said that he could not rule out bankruptcy, Bloomberg News reported, two weeks after buying it for $44 billion (roughly Rs. 3,54,600 crore) - a deal that credit experts say has left Twitter's finances in a precarious position.

Earlier in the day, in his first company-wide email, Musk warned that Twitter would not be able to "survive the upcoming economic downturn" if it fails to boost subscription revenue to offset falling advertising income, three people who have seen the message told Reuters.

Yoel Roth, who has overseen Twitter's response to combat hate speech, misinformation and spam on the service, resigned on Thursday, two people familiar with the matter told Reuters.

Advertisement

In his Twitter profile on Thursday, Roth described himself as "Former Head of Trust & Safety" at the company.

Roth did not respond to requests for comment. Bloomberg and tech site Platformer reported his exit first.

Advertisement

Earlier on Thursday, Twitter's Chief Information Security Officer Lea Kissner tweeted that she had quit.

Chief Privacy Officer Damien Kieran and Chief Compliance Officer Marianne Fogarty also resigned, according to an internal message posted to Twitter's Slack messaging system on Thursday by an attorney on its privacy team and seen by Reuters.

Advertisement

Robin Wheeler, the company's top ad sales executive, told employees in a memo that she was staying at the company, a person who had seen the message said, diverging from earlier media reports that she too would be leaving.

"I'm still here," Wheeler tweeted late on Thursday.

The US Federal Trade Commission said it was watching Twitter with "deep concern" after the three privacy and compliance officers quit. These resignations potentially put Twitter at risk of violating regulatory orders.

Musk attorney Alex Spiro told some employees in an email late on Thursday that Twitter would remain in compliance.

"We spoke to the FTC today about our continuing obligations and have a constructive ongoing dialogue," Spiro wrote.

He stated that only Twitter, not individual employees, could be held liable against the orders.

"I understand that there have been employees at Twitter who do not even work on the FTC matter commenting that they could (go) to jail if we were not in compliance - that is simply not how this works," he wrote.

In his first meeting with many employees at Twitter on Thursday afternoon, Musk warned that the company may lose billions of dollars next year, the Information reported.

Musk added in the email to workers that remote work would no longer be allowed and that they would be expected in the office for at least 40 hours per week.

Twitter, Musk and Spiro did not respond to requests for comment on a potential bankruptcy, the FTC warning, or the departures.

Musk ruthlessly moved to clean house after taking over on October 27 and has said the company was losing more than $4 million (roughly Rs. 32 crore) a day, largely because advertisers started fleeing once he took over.

Twitter has $13 billion (roughly Rs. 1,04,815 crore) in debt after the deal and faces interest payments totaling close to $1.2 billion (roughly Rs. 9,680 crore) in the next 12 months. The payments exceed Twitter's most recently disclosed cash flow, which amounted to $1.1 billion (roughly Rs. 8,870 crore) as of the end of June.

Musk has begun charging $8 (roughly Rs. 650) a month for the Twitter Blue service that will include a blue check verification.

Warning

"We are tracking recent developments at Twitter with deep concern," Douglas Farrar, the FTC's director of public affairs, told Reuters.

"No CEO or company is above the law, and companies must follow our consent decrees. Our revised consent order gives us new tools to ensure compliance, and we are prepared to use them," Farrar said.

In May, Twitter agreed to pay $150 million (roughly Rs. 1,210 crore) to settle allegations by the FTC it misused private information, like phone numbers, to target advertising to users after telling them the information was collected only for security reasons.

Twitter's privacy attorney on Thursday mentioned in the internal memo that Spiro had said that Musk was willing to take a "huge amount of risk" with the company. "Elon puts rockets into space, he's not afraid of the FTC," the attorney quoted Spiro as saying.

Twitter's buyout has sparked concerns that Musk, who has often waded into political debates, could face pressure from countries trying to control online speech.

It prompted US President Joe Biden to say on Wednesday that Musk's "cooperation and/or technical relationships with other countries is worthy of being looked at."

Advertisers not reassured

Musk told advertisers on Wednesday, speaking on Twitter's Spaces feature, that he aimed to turn the platform into a force for truth and stop fake accounts.

His assurances may not be enough.

Chipotle Mexican Grill said on Thursday it had pulled back its paid and owned content on Twitter "while we gain a better understanding on the direction of the platform under its new leadership."

It joined other brands including General Motors that have paused advertising on Twitter since Musk took over, concerned that he will loosen content moderation rules.

© Thomson Reuters 2022


Are the Pixel 7 and 7 Pro the best in their segment? We discuss this on Orbital, the Gadgets 360 podcast. Orbital is available on Spotify, Gaana, JioSaavn, Google Podcasts, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music and wherever you get your podcasts.
Affiliate links may be automatically generated - see our ethics statement for details.
 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Elon Musk, Twitter
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. iQOO Neo 11 Ultra Debuts With Dimensity 9500M Chip
  2. Realme P4s 5G to Launch in India on August 26 With These Features
  3. Poco M8x 5G Will Launch in India in These Colour Options
  4. iQOO Z11S Launched With 10,000mAh Battery, 144Hz AMOLED Display
  5. Oppo Find X10 Display Tipped With BT.2020, Eye-Care Features
  6. Gboard Rambler Usage Limit Explained: What Happens After the Cap
  7. BGMI Lite Pre-Registrations for Android Users to Open on August 25
  8. Redmi M100 Debuts With 7,900mAh Battery: See Price, Features
  9. iPhone 18 Pro's A20 Pro SoC Could Be Built on TSMC's 2nm Process
  10. WhatsApp Could Add New Meta AI Feature to Expand Photos to 9:16
  1. WhatsApp Could Soon Let You Expand Photos to 9:16 Format on Android Using Meta AI
  2. Poco M8x 5G Colour Options, Durability Details and More Announced Ahead of India Launch
  3. OnePlus 16 Display Details Again Leaked Online; Tipped to Feature ColorOS 17
  4. Google Says Gboard Rambler Switches to Offline Mode After Usage Limit: Report
  5. Maya Protocol Loses $11 Million in Pool Value After Exploit Drains Bitcoin and Other Assets
  6. Poco F9 Ultra Appears in Leaked Diagram; Tipped to Be More Expensive Than Earlier Anticipated
  7. Vivo T5 Pro 5G Gets Another Price Hike, Now Up to Rs. 30,000 More Expensive Than at Launch
  8. Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 8 Ultra and More Get August 2026 Security Patch: Report
  9. iPhone 18 Pro’s A20 Pro Chip Could Be Apple’s First SoC Built on TSMC’s 2nm Process, Tipped to Deliver Major Performance Gains
  10. Apple May Add Camera Control Button to Future iPad, Patent Reveals
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.