Marriott Says Hack Was Smaller Than Originally Thought, but 5.25 Million Passport Numbers Were Stolen

Advertisement
By Agence France-Presse | Updated: 7 January 2019 18:16 IST
Highlights
  • Fewer guests than originally thought were affected: Marriott
  • More than five million passport numbers were stolen
  • An additional 20.3 million encrypted passport numbers were also taken

Photo Credit: Scott Olson/ Getty Images/ AFP

Marriott disclosed Friday that fewer guests than originally thought were affected by a massive computer hacking attack but that more than five million passport numbers were stolen.

Marriott said about 5.25 million passport numbers were taken in the incident, which US officials believe was masterminded by the Chinese government.

An additional 20.3 million encrypted passport numbers were also taken but there is no evidence hackers were able to decipher that data, Marriott said.

Advertisement

Marriott initially disclosed the hack - one of the biggest ever - on November 30, saying up to 500 million consumers of former Starwood properties were affected and that some combinations of names, addresses, emails or passport numbers were taken for some 327 million guests. Marriott bought Starwood in 2016.

Advertisement

The update follows more extensive investigation since the initial disclosure, the company said.

"As we near the end of the cyber forensics and data analytics work, we will continue to work hard to address our customers' concerns and meet the standard of excellence our customers deserve and expect from Marriott," said Marriott Chief Executive Arne Sorenson.

Advertisement

The hotelier now estimates that up to 383 million records were pilfered in the incident, cutting the original figure after data forensics eliminated duplicates.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said last month US officials believed the Marriott hack was part of an espionage effort directed by Beijing that has targeted health insurers and the US civil service employment database.

Advertisement

The United States and China are embroiled in a wide-ranging trade war. Policy architects in the Trump administration say they are countering entrenched industrial policies by Beijing, which they allege involve widespread cybertheft.

© Thomson Reuters 2019

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: US, Marriott, China
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. OnePlus 12R Gets OxygenOS 16 Update With These New Features
  1. NASA Steps In to Support ESA’s Rosalind Franklin Rover Ahead of 2028 Mars Launch
  2. Coffee Waste Could Make Concrete Stronger and Greener, Scientists Find
  3. Fermi Telescope Detects Gamma-Ray Halo That Could Be First Direct Dark Matter Signal
  4. Researchers Develop New Materials for Truly Stretchable OLED Screens
  5. OxygenOS 16 Update Rolling Out to OnePlus 12R Globally, Brings New AI Tools and Upgraded Performance
  6. Dhurandhar OTT Release: Know When, Where to Watch the Ranveer Singh, Sanjay Dutt-Starrer
  7. Born Hungry Is Now Streaming Online: Know Where to Watch the Journey of Chef Sash Simpson
  8. Brat Is Streaming Now: Where to Watch Darling Krishna’s Betting-World Drama
  9. Bad Guys 2 OTT Release: When and Where to Watch the Animated Heist-Comedy
  10. Apple Tipped to Turn to Intel to Build Its Entry-Level M-Series Chipsets
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2025. All rights reserved.