Russia begins selectively blocking Internet content

Advertisement
By Andrew E. Kramer, The New York Times | Updated: 1 April 2013 17:56 IST
The Russian government in recent weeks has been making use of a new law that gives it the power to block Internet content that it deems illegal or harmful to children.

The country's communications regulators have required Facebook, Twitter and YouTube to remove material the officials determined was objectionable, with only YouTube, owned by Google, resisting. The video-sharing site complied with a Russian agency's order to block a video that officials said promoted suicide. But YouTube filed a lawsuit in Russian court in February saying the video, showing how to make a fake wound with makeup materials and a razor blade, was intended for entertainment and should not be restricted.

Supporters of the law, which took effect in November, say it is a narrowly focused way of controlling child pornography and content that promotes drug use and suicide.

But opposition leaders have railed against the law as a crack in the doorway to broader Internet censorship. They say they worry that social networks, which have been used to arrange protests against President Vladimir V. Putin, will be stifled.

Advertisement

The child protection law, they say, builds a system for government officials to demand that companies selectively block individual postings, so that contentious material can be removed without resorting to a countrywide ban on, for example, Facebook or YouTube, which would reflect poorly on Russia's image abroad and anger Internet users at home.

Advertisement

So far at least, the Russians have been mostly singling out not political content but genuinely distressing material posted by Russian-speaking users.

On Friday, Facebook took down a page globally that was connected to suicide after it was flagged by the Russian regulatory agency, called the Federal Service for Supervision in Telecommunications, Information Technology and Mass Communications, known by its acronym Roskomnadzor. A spokesman for the agency had told Facebook it had until Sunday to comply or risk being blocked in Russia.

Advertisement

For Facebook, the response turned out to be an easy decision. Everybody concerned - the company, the government and opposition figures agreed the suicide-themed user group was not a friendly page. The group, called "Club Suicid," was deemed serious enough not to be sheltered by Facebook's criteria for "controversial humor."

"We reviewed the content and it was removed because it violated our terms of use," the company said in a statement.

Advertisement

Facebook says it also complies with local legislation to ban content in certain countries, though that was not the reason for removing the page in this case.

"Notable examples of where most services, including ours, will I.P.-restrict access for certain counties are in Germany" and in France, where it blocks content related to Holocaust denial, and in Turkey, where content defaming the country's founder, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, is blocked, Facebook said in its statement.

The spokesman for the Roskomnadzor agency, Vladimir Pikov, said a separate government agency, Rospotrebnadzor, a consumer-protection organization intended to ensure the safety of food and consumer goods, had made a determination that the Facebook post promoted suicide, and was thus a public health threat.

Twitter, the microblogging site, in March began complying with Russian requests to remove posts - two because they appeared to be related to an attempt to deal in illegal drugs and three posts for "promoting suicidal thoughts," according to a statement issued March 15 by Roskomnadzor. Twitter has been "actively engaged in cooperation," the statement said.

Izvestia, a Russian newspaper, reported that Twitter and the Russian agencies' officials had been in negotiations since November to create a mechanism for selectively blocking Twitter posts inside Russia.

Anton Nosik, a blogger and journalist in Russia, in a telephone interview called the law "absurd, harmful and absolutely unnecessary." But, he said, so long as regulators focus on genuinely macabre material like sites visited by people fascinated by suicide, he is not overly concerned about a crackdown on the videos and Web pages in the Russian blogosphere. "The track record of the authorities shows they are not going to enforce it strictly."

© 2013, The New York Times News Service

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Facebook, Internet, Twitter, YouTube
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  2. AI Impact Summit: From Registration to Schedule, All You Need to Know
  3. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  4. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  5. PS6 Could Reportedly be Delayed to 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  6. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With This Dimensity 8000 Series Chipset
  7. Deals on iPhone 17, Google Pixel 10 and More During Flipkart Sale
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.