Twitter Sued Again Over Severance Pay, Lawsuit Claims Company Owes at Least $500 Million to Ex-Workers

The lawsuit also alleges that the company targeted older workers for layoffs.

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 19 July 2023 16:43 IST
Highlights
  • The lawsuit was filed by former Twitter senior engineer Chris Woodfield
  • Twitter laid off more than half of its workforce when Elon Musk took over
  • A similar lawsuit was filed last week in California federal court

Twitter allegedly promised workers two months' salary, other payouts if they were laid off

Photo Credit: Reuters

Twitter on Tuesday was hit with the second lawsuit this month to claim that it owes at least $500 million (roughly Rs. 4,105 crore) in severance pay to ex-workers, the latest in a series of cases arising from Elon Musk's acquisition of the social media company.

The proposed class action filed in Delaware federal court by former Twitter senior engineer Chris Woodfield also alleges that the company targeted older workers for layoffs, a claim that has not been made in the other pending cases.

Woodfield, who worked for Twitter out of Seattle, says the company repeatedly told employees that they would receive two months' salary and other payouts if they were laid off, but that he and other workers have not received the money.

Twitter laid off more than half of its workforce as a cost-cutting measure after Musk acquired the company last October.

Advertisement

Twitter no longer has a media relations department and the company responded to an email seeking comment with an automatic response containing a poop emoji. The company has said in response to other lawsuits that laid-off workers have been paid in full.

A similar lawsuit was filed last week in California federal court claiming Twitter owes ex-employees more than $500 million in severance.

Advertisement

Twitter has not responded to that lawsuit, which claims it violated a federal law regulating employee benefit plans by failing to abide by the terms of a severance plan established before Musk acquired the company.

Woodfield's lawsuit accuses the company of breach of contract and fraud. Woodfield also claims that Twitter targeted him to be laid off because he is an "older worker," though the complaint does not state his age.

Advertisement

According to the lawsuit, Woodfield signed an agreement to arbitrate work-related legal disputes that requires Twitter to pay the initial fees to allow individual cases to proceed. He says that he initiated an arbitration against Twitter earlier this year.

But Woodfield claims Twitter has refused to pay the fee in his case, blocking it from going forward. That claim was made by hundreds of ex-employees in a separate case earlier this year. Twitter has said those workers did not submit the necessary paperwork.

Twitter has also been accused in several separate lawsuits of disproportionately laying off women and workers with disabilities, failing to give advance notice of layoffs, and not paying promised bonuses to its remaining employees. The company has denied those claims.

© Thomson Reuters 2023


Will the Nothing Phone 2 serve as the successor to the Phone 1, or will the two co-exist? We discuss the company's recently launched handset and more on the latest episode of Orbital, the Gadgets 360 podcast. Orbital is available on Spotify, Gaana, JioSaavn, Google Podcasts, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music and wherever you get your podcasts.
Affiliate links may be automatically generated - see our ethics statement for details.
 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Twitter, Elon Musk
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. iQOO Z11 Review
  2. Samsung Galaxy S25 Price Increased by Up to Rs. 12,000
  3. iPhone 18 Pro Case Leak Hints at No Major Design Changes
  4. CMF Buds Neo With 35dB ANC, Up to 52 Hour of Battery Launched in India
  5. Here's When the Lava Bold N4 Lite Will Launch in India
  6. iQOO Z11 Launched in India With These Features: See Price
  7. Here's How Much the Vivo Y31T 5G Could Cost in India
  8. iQOO 16 and Neo 12 Could Be Equipped With These Samsung Displays
  9. New GTA 6 Gameplay Leaks Emerge as Group Threatens to Release More Videos
  10. Qualcomm Teases Arrival of Two New Snapdragon 8 Elite Chips
  1. OnePlus Tipped to Launch a New 4G Phone Exclusively in India Next Month
  2. Qualcomm Teases Two New Snapdragon 8 Elite Chips Ahead of Snapdragon Summit
  3. Lava Bold N4 Lite India Launch Date Announced; Design and Durability Details Teased
  4. Coinbase Expands Tokenisation Push With Abu Dhabi Regulatory Approval
  5. Google Photos Could Soon Add a Map View to Ask Photos Search Results, Feature Spotted in APK Teardown
  6. Infinix Hot 70 Pro 5G India Launch Confirmed for September, Design and Colours Revealed
  7. Vivo Y31T 5G Price in India Tipped Days After Firm Revealed Full Specifications List Ahead of Launch
  8. Moto G Max With Snapdragon 6s Gen 4 Chip, 7,000mAh Battery Goes on Sale in India: Price, Offers
  9. Asus VM240 AiO All-in-One Desktop PC Launched in India With 24-Inch Display, New Gaming Accessories Tag Along
  10. iQOO 16, iQOO Neo 12 Tipped to Get Major Display Upgrades With Up to 185Hz Refresh Rate
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.