Hedge fund takes $2 billion stake in Microsoft

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 23 April 2013 17:11 IST
Activist investor ValueAct Capital has taken a $2 billion stake in Microsoft Corp, according to ValueAct's chief executive, helping Microsoft shares climb to a seven-month high.

The stake was confirmed by ValueAct CEO Jeffrey Ubben at an investor conference in New York, after being first reported by CNBC television.

Microsoft shares rose as much as 4.8 percent to $31.18, touching their highest levels since last September, before paring gains. With Monday's jump, the stock is up 16 percent this year, putting it on track for its best annual performance since 2009.

One of the chief complaints of Microsoft's investors is that the stock is little changed today from where it was 11 years ago.

Advertisement

Ubben said at the conference that the firm will not do any public campaigning to affect Microsoft's strategy. But he did say that the world's largest software company should make Office, its most profitable product, more widely available outside of Windows.

Advertisement

Microsoft makes web-based versions of Office applications, such as Word, Outlook and PowerPoint, and also one for Apple computers. But it does not make a native version for Apple's hot-selling iPad, which one analyst suggested could be worth $2.5 billion in annual revenue.

At Friday's closing price of $29.77, a $2 billion stake would represent about 67.2 million Microsoft shares. That represents less than 1 percent of Microsoft but would be enough to make ValueAct a top-15 investor in the company, based on Thomson Reuters data.

Advertisement

ValueAct describes its management as being experts in "sourcing investments in companies they believe to be fundamentally undervalued, and then working with management and the company's board to implement strategies that generate superior returns on invested capital."

Most recently, ValueAct was involved in pushing industrial machinery maker Gardner Denver Inc to sell itself, an effort that culminated in a $3.74 billion deal with private equity firm KKR.

Advertisement

Microsoft and Steve Ballmer, its CEO for the last 13 years, have been the targets of much criticism over the past decade, chiefly for falling behind Apple Inc and Google Inc in the shift toward mobile computing.

But the company has not been subject to much overt shareholder protest. The most public challenge came two years ago, when Greenlight Capital's David Einhorn - who made his name warning about Lehman Brothers' financial health before the investment bank's collapse - called for Ballmer to step down.

"His (Ballmer's) continued presence is the biggest overhang on Microsoft's stock," Einhorn told fellow fund managers at the annual Ira Sohn Investment Research Conference in 2011.

Microsoft never responded publicly to Einhorn, but Ballmer has indicated he has no plans to step down and intends to stay on for another four or five years at least. Greenlight Capital has since cut its stake. At the end of last year it held a negligible 0.13 percent of Microsoft's outstanding shares.

Any attempt to force change within the company from outside would likely face opposition from its largest shareholder, Chairman and co-founder Bill Gates, who still owns 5 percent of the company. Ballmer is the third-largest holder with about 4 percent.

Microsoft shares closed Monday up 3.6 percent at $30.83 on Nasdaq.

© Thomson Reuters 2013

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Microsoft, Steve Ballmer, ValueAct
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Xiaomi 17 Series Leak Hints at Imminent Launch Ahead of MWC at These Prices
  2. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  3. AI Impact Summit: From Registration to Schedule, All You Need to Know
  4. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  5. Oppo Find X10 Series Could Debut This Year With This iPhone-Like Feature
  6. Tecno Spark 50 4G Launch Timeline, Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  7. PS6 Could Reportedly be Delayed to 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  8. Lava Bold N2 Will Be Launched in India on This Date: See Expected Specs
  9. iPhone 18 Series May Arrive Without a Physical SIM Slot in This Region
  10. Deals on iPhone 17, Google Pixel 10 and More During Flipkart Sale
  1. Sony Could Reportedly Delay PS6 to as Late as 2029 Due to RAM Shortage
  2. iPhone 18 Series to Drop SIM Card Slot in Europe to Make Room for Slightly Larger Battery: Report
  3. Poco X8 Pro Spotted on Geekbench With MediaTek Dimensity 8500 Ultra SoC, Android 16
  4. Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Global Price Details, Launch Date and Colour Options Leaked
  5. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  6. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  7. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  8. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  9. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  10. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.