Facebook Executive Released in Brazil After WhatsApp Data Access Row

Advertisement
By Agence France-Presse | Updated: 3 March 2016 10:36 IST
Facebook's vice president for Latin America was released Wednesday, a day after being arrested for refusing to hand over WhatsApp messages to the police investigating a drugs case.

Judge Ruy Pinheiro, in Sergipe state, ruled overnight that the detention of Diego Dzodan in Sao Paulo on Tuesday had amounted to "unlawful coercion."

"It seems to me that the extreme measure of imprisonment was hurried," Pinheiro said.

Dzodan walked free mid-morning, federal police in Sao Paulo said.

Advertisement

Facebook, which owns the popular WhatsApp mobile phone messaging tool, welcomed the release of its executive.

Advertisement

"Diego's detention was an extreme, disproportionate measure, and we are pleased to see the court in Sergipe issue an injunction ordering his release," a spokesman for the social media giant said in a statement.

Dzodan had been arrested on the request of a lower court judge in Sergipe for allegedly "repeated non-compliance with court orders" to share Facebook data, federal police said.

Advertisement

"This information was required to produce evidence to be used in an organized crime and drug trafficking investigation."

According to Brazilian media reports, traffickers targeted in the Sergipe investigation had been using WhatsApp to discuss their business.

Advertisement

When Facebook refused to comply, Brazilian authorities imposed fines, starting with BRL 50,000 (about $12,500) daily beginning two months ago, and which rose to 1 million BRL  ($250,000) a month ago, Sergipe federal police told AFP.

Privacy vs security
The companies, owned by US billionaire Mark Zuckerberg, denied obstructing justice and said they had done whatever they could to help.

"Arresting people with no connection to a pending law enforcement investigation is a capricious step and we are concerned about the effects for the people of Brazil and innovation in the country," Facebook said in its statement Wednesday.

"We remain willing to address questions Brazilian authorities may have."

WhatsApp insisted that it had no technical means for cooperating.

"WhatsApp cannot provide information we do not have," it said in a statement.

It's not the first arm-wrestle between Brazilian justice authorities and Facebook.

In December, a judge ordered the suspension of WhatsApp for 12 hours after it failed to hand over information during another criminal investigation. The stoppage, which provoked widespread anger, was overturned on appeal.

Three years ago, Google was in the firing line. The search engine giant's top Brazil executive was accused of breaking election laws when he refused to remove videos on YouTube that were critical of a mayoral candidate in Mato Grosso do Sul state.

In the United States, Apple is embroiled in its own row with the government over a refusal to cooperate with the FBI in unlocking an iPhone used by one of the shooters in a mass killing by a couple in San Bernardino, California, last year.

The FBI says that national security is at stake, while Apple says it is taking a stand against government intrusion into privacy.

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Apps, Brazil, Facebook, Social, WhatsApp
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. OTT Releases of the Week (Feb 16 - Feb 22): Know What to Watch This Weekend
  2. Here's When Xiaomi Will Launch the Xiaomi 17 and Xiaomi 17 Ultra Globally
  3. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased; Might Launch With This Chip
  4. Realme C83 5G Price Leaked; Here's How Much It May Cost in India
  5. Realme P4 Lite With 6,300mAh Battery Launched at This Price in India
  6. Xiaomi 17T, Xiaomi 17T Tipped to Launch Four Months Earlier Than Usual
  7. Xiaomi Teases a New Computing Device, New Tablet Expected to Launch Soon
  8. Vivo V70 Elite Review: Vivo's V-Series Goes 'Elite'
  9. Google Prevented 1.75 Million Policy-Violating Apps in 2025 on Android
  10. Google Launches Gemini 3.1 Pro; Pomelli Updated With Photoshoot Feature
  1. Poco X8 Pro, Poco X8 Pro Max Design and Colour Options Seen in Leaked Renders
  2. Xiaomi Teases India Launch of New Computing Device; New Tablet With Keyboard or Laptop Expected
  3. Realme C83 5G India Price, RAM and Storage Configurations Leaked Online
  4. Xiaomi 17 Series Global Launch Date Announced; Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Expected to Debut
  5. Google Blocked 266 Million Risky App Installs, Prevented 1.75 Million Policy-Violating Apps in 2025
  6. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased on Flipkart; Leaked Marketing Image Hints at Snapdragon 7s Gen 4 SoC
  7. Google Releases Gemini 3.1 Pro With Ability to Execute Complex Tasks; Pomelli Gets New Photoshoot Feature
  8. Xiaomi 17T Pro, Xiaomi 17T Tipped to Launch Earlier Than Previously Expected, Chipset Details Leaked
  9. Google Chrome Updated With Split View, Built-In PDF Markup Tools, and More Features
  10. Realme P4 Lite Launched in India With 6,300mAh Battery, 13-Megapixel Camera: Price, Specifications
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.