WhatsApp Tells Companies to Stop Spam Amid Brazil Elections

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 22 October 2018 11:12 IST
Highlights
  • WhatsApp said it sent "cease and desist" letters to companies
  • Businessmen bankrolling a campaign to spread fake news: report
  • "Fake news spread in support of presidential candidate Jair Bolsonaro"

The WhatsApp messaging service said Friday that it has sent "cease and desist" letters to stop companies from sending bulk messages related to Brazil's election, after a report that businessmen were bankrolling a campaign to spread fake news in support of leading far-right presidential candidate Jair Bolsonaro.

The company framed the move as part of its larger efforts to combat the spread of false information on its service, revealing that it had banned hundreds of thousands of accounts since August, when the election campaign officially got underway in Brazil.

It said it uses "spam detection technology that spots accounts that engage in abnormal behaviour so they can't be used to spread spam or misinformation."

Advertisement

Among the accounts it has blocked are those belonging to the companies that received the "cease and desist" letters. The action came after a report in the Folha de S.Paulo newspaper on Thursday that said a blast messaging campaign was planned for the week before the October 28 runoff.

Advertisement

Bolsonaro's rival, Fernando Haddad, said that, if true, the scheme would amount to illegal campaign practices and asked Brazil's electoral court to investigate. Haddad, who became the candidate for the left-leaning Workers' Party after former President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva was banned because of a corruption conviction, alleged that hundreds of thousands of fake messages were already sent out in support of the far-right hopeful.

Bolsonaro has said any support he received from businessmen was voluntary and his Social and Liberal Party said all donations they have received were legal.

Advertisement

WhatsApp said in a statement that it was taking the allegation seriously. It declined to name the companies that it sent the letters to, but the Folha report identified marketing companies it said allegedly received money to do the blast messaging. None of the companies mentioned immediately responded to requests to confirm they had received the "cease and desist" letters.

WhatsApp is immensely popular in Brazil, which is home to nearly one in 10 users worldwide, but it has come under scrutiny during this election as concerns grow about whether false or manipulated messages are influencing voters. While fake news is a concern on many social media platforms, like Twitter and Facebook, WhatsApp is more difficult to police because users exchange information directly and rumours there can gain added credibility since they're shared privately by friends.

Advertisement

Later, members of Haddad's Workers' Party met in Brasilia with the head of Brazil's electoral court. Chairwoman Gleisi Hoffmann said she feared there would not be a timely response to avert the false news wave before the runoff.

"I leave this meeting with a lot of concerns about the court's ability to face this new situation in the electoral process," Hoffmann told journalists. "Yesterday we filed a suit to request searches to gather evidence and so far the court had no decision. The court will treat this suit as if we were in normal times, so I am very worried."

Haddad also criticised Brazil's electoral court on Friday. "We have an analogue judiciary dealing with digital problems," he told journalists in Rio de Janeiro.

Brazil's top electoral court had been expected to hold a press conference on false news and electoral crimes, but it was postponed until Sunday. No details were given about the change.

Also on Friday Brazil's Labor Democratic Party filed a request to the country's top electoral court to cancel the results of the first round of voting on October 7. The left-leaning party of third-place Ciro Gomes argues Bolsonaro's campaign received illegal funds and used false news to thrive.

Meanwhile, amid the back-and-forth about whether WhatsApp was being weaponized in the campaign, Flavio Bolsonaro, who is a senator-elect for Rio de Janeiro and the presidential candidate's son, tweeted that his own account had been banned but hours later said it had been unblocked. WhatsApp confirmed that the account was blocked about a week ago for spamming users and reinstated a few days later.

"The persecution knows no limits!" Flavio Bolsonaro tweeted Friday when he initially revealed his account had been blocked. Jair Bolsonaro's campaign has frequently alleged that the mainstream media and others are working against the front-runner's candidacy.

WhatsApp noted that an account for former President Dilma Rousseff, who is from the rival Workers' Party and ran for senator in this election and lost, was also blocked during her campaign.

© Thomson Reuters 2018

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: WhatsApp
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. OTT Releases of the Week (Feb 16 - Feb 22): Know What to Watch This Weekend
  2. Vivo V70 Elite, V70 Launched in India With 6,500mAh Batteries: See Prices
  3. Nothing Confirms the Upcoming Phone 4a Series Will Sport a Snapdragon Chip
  4. WhatsApp's New Feature Allows New Members to View Past Group Messages
  5. Poco X8 Pro Series Display, Chipset, Battery Details Leak Online
  6. MakeMyTrip Will Add These OpenAI-Powered Features to Its Myra Trip Assistant
  7. Google's New AI Model Can Create Music Based on Your Image, Text Prompts
  8. Vivo V70 Elite Review: Vivo's V-Series Goes 'Elite'
  9. Adobe Lets Students in India Access Photoshop, Acrobat and Firefly for Free
  10. Infinix Xpad 30E Goes Official With 7,000mAh Battery: See Price, Features
  1. iPhone Air User Complains of C1X Modem Failure, Claims Mobile Diagnostics Suggests Hardware Issue
  2. Redmi Buds 8 Active Price, Design, Key Features Leaked Ahead of Anticipated Launch
  3. Samsung's One UI 8.5 Update Will Introduce Upgraded Bixby With Natural Voice Commands, Real-Time Web Access
  4. Poco X8 Pro and Poco X8 Pro Max to Feature 1.5K OLED Screens, 100W Charging Support, Tipster Claims
  5. WhatsApp Rolls Out Group Message History Feature for Easy Onboarding of New Members
  6. Lunar Surface Is Cracking as New Tectonic Map Reveals Recent Ridges Stretching Across the Moon, Study Suggests
  7. Nothing Phone 4a Series Confirmed to Launch With Snapdragon Chipsets: Expected Specifications, Features
  8. Tu Meri Main Tera Main Tera Tu Meri Out on OTT: Where to Watch Kartik Aaryan, Ananya Panday’s Rom-Com?
  9. AI Impact Summit: Adobe Offers Indian Students Free Access to Photoshop, Acrobat and Firefly Apps
  10. Meta Reportedly Plans Smartwatch Launch in 2026 With Meta AI, Health Tracking Features
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.