Microsoft fined 561 million euros over web browser choice

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 6 March 2013 18:13 IST
The European Union fined Microsoft Corp 561 million euros on Wednesday for failing to offer consumers a choice of web browser, a charge that will act as a warning to other technology firms involved in antitrust disputes with the EU.

It said the U.S. company had broken a legally binding commitment made in 2009 to ensure consumers had a choice of browser, rather than defaulting to Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

An EU investigation found that Microsoft had failed to honour that obligation in software issued between May 2011 and July 2012, meaning that 15 million users were never made aware that they could choose.

"Legally binding commitments reached in antitrust decisions play a very important role in our enforcement policy," said Joaquin Almunia, the EU's competition commissioner.

Advertisement

"A failure to comply is a very serious infringement that must be sanctioned accordingly."

Advertisement

Wednesday's fine is the first time the European Commission, the EU's antitrust authority, has fined a company for non-compliance with agreed commitments. It could have charged Microsoft up to 10 percent of its global turnover, or as much as $7.9 billion.

In that respect, the fine is relatively light, but still marks a firm sanction by the EU and will not go unnoticed by the likes of Google, which is involved in a dispute with the Commission over how it ranks search engine results.

Advertisement

Google is under pressure to offer concessions to prevent the antitrust authority moving to the next stage in the case, which could involve fines. Other major technology firms are also in the Commission's crosshairs in other cases.

Microsoft has a long and bitter relationship with the EU's powerful antitrust authority, which has now issued fines totalling 2.16 billion euros against the U.S. firm.

Advertisement

In 2004, the Commission found that Microsoft had abused its dominant market position in relation to the tying of Windows Media Player to the Windows software package and imposed fines.

Then in 2009, in order to resolve other competition concerns, Microsoft undertook to offer users a browser choice screen allowing them to download a browser other than Explorer.

The Commission made that obligation legally binding for five years, until 2014, and initially the company complied. From March 2010 until November 2010, 84 million browsers were downloaded via the screen, the Commission said on Wednesday.

But the Windows 7 service pack 1 rolled out between mid-2011 and mid-2012 failed to offer the choice, leading to the investigation that resulted in Wednesday's fine.

Microsoft has said the failure was the result of a technical error and that procedures have since been tightened.

In what was seen as an acknowledgement of the severity of the mistake, the board cut the bonus of chief executive Steve Ballmer last year, according to company's annual proxy filing.

The Commission said it had taken into account in calculating the fine that Microsoft had cooperated by providing information that had helped speed-up the investigation.

Analysts always found it odd that Microsoft would have purposefully failed to offer a choice of browsers via its software given that the potential fine for such a failure would far exceed any potential income from not offering it.

Microsoft's share of the European browser market has more than halved since 2008 to 24 percent. Google's Chrome has a 35 percent share, followed by Mozilla with 29 percent, according to Web traffic analysis company StatCounter.

© Thomson Reuters 2013

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Microsoft
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Samsung Galaxy S26+ Reportedly Listed for Sale Online Ahead of Launch
  2. Anthropic's First Indian Office in Bengaluru Is Now Open
  3. Lava Bold N2 Will Be Launched in India on This Date: See Expected Specs
  4. Vivo X300 FE Reportedly Bags IMDA and TUV Certifications Ahead of Launch
  5. Apple to Reportedly Launch Low-Cost MacBook in 'Playful Colors' in March
  6. Tecno Spark 50 4G Launch Timeline, Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  7. Oppo K14x 5G With 6,500mAh Battery Goes on Sale in India: See Price, Offers
  8. This Govt-Approved Rs. 10,000 Crore Scheme to Bolster Indian Startups
  1. X Building Smart 'Cashtags' to Let Users Check Cryptocurrency Prices in Real-Time
  2. Samsung Galaxy A27 5G Listing on IMEI Database Suggests a Galaxy A26 Successor Is on the Way
  3. Anthropic Inaugurates First Indian Office in Bengaluru, Starts Hiring Local Talent
  4. Apple Tipped to Adopt Samsung's Privacy Display Technology for MacBook Models by 2029
  5. Oppo Find X10 Series Tipped to Launch in H2 2026 With Built-In Magnets for Wireless Charging
  6. AMD and TCS to Co-Develop Helios AI Data Centre Architecture, Deliver 200MW Data Centre Blueprint
  7. Tecno Spark 50 4G Tipped to Launch Globally Soon; Design, Colourways, Key Features Leaked
  8. Lava Bold N2 India Launch Date Revealed; Will Be Exclusively Available via Amazon
  9. Government Green Lights Rs. 10,000 Crore Fund of Funds 2.0 Under the Startup India Mission
  10. Samsung’s 'Wide' Galaxy Z Fold Design Revealed via Leaked One UI 9 Animations
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.