Huawei, ZTE Urge US FCC Not to Impose National Security Risk Labels

In November, the US FCC voted 5-0 to initially designate Huawei and ZTE as national security risks.

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 4 February 2020 10:28 IST
Highlights
  • Huawei has repeatedly denied spying allegations
  • The company called the effort "unlawful and misguided"
  • UK announced it was giving Huawei a role in 5G infrastructure development

In November, the FCC proposed requiring that US carriers remove equipment from Huawei

Huawei Technologies and ZTE on Monday both asked the US Federal Communications Commission (FCC) not to finalise its designation of the China tech giants as risks to US national security.

In November, the FCC voted 5-0 to initially designate Huawei and ZTE as national security risks in a move that would bar their US rural carrier customers from tapping an $8.5 billion government fund to purchase equipment.

Huawei said in a nearly 200-page filing with the FCC the action was "designed to implement a campaign by certain government officials, including members of Congress, to single out Huawei for burdensome and stigmatising restrictions, put it out of business in the United States, and impugn its reputation here and around the world." It called the effort "unlawful and misguided."

ZTE asked the FCC Monday in a filing to "take additional time to assess ZTE's enhancements in the area of US export control and economic sanctions compliance and security controls in ZTE products."

Advertisement

ZTE added it has "spent hundreds of millions of dollars to implement a compliance program relating to US export control compliance regulations."

The commission left the final determination to the FCC's Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau, which could determine not to finalise the risk designation.

Advertisement

Such a move would run counter to the Trump administration's stance to date, after its blacklisting of Huawei in May sharply restricted the export of US high-tech components to the company.

The administration has also tried with limited success to persuade its allies to bar Huawei, saying its equipment could potentially be used by Beijing for spying.

Advertisement

Huawei has repeatedly denied those allegations, and scored a big win last week when the UK announced it was giving Huawei a role in its new generation of telecoms infrastructure.

In its November vote, the FCC proposed requiring that US carriers remove and replace equipment from both Huawei and ZTE, also China-based, from existing networks.

The companies' ties to the Chinese government and military apparatus, and laws requiring their assistance in intelligence activities, are why they pose a security risk, the FCC said.

© Thomson Reuters 2020

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: Huawei, ZTE, FCC
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. iQOO Z11, Buds Key Specifications Confirmed Ahead of India Launch
  2. Lava Virat V1 5G Review: Not Just a Budget Phone
  3. iQOO Z11: CEO Nipun Marya on Why Brand Built Phone for Students
  4. Spotify Introduces Playlist Notes for Songs, Podcasts and Audiobooks
  1. Samsung Galaxy S26 FE Alleged Renders Leaked by Tipster; Design, Colour Options Revealed
  2. Binance Plans UK Comeback With FCA Licence Bid: Report
  3. Vivo Phones Could Get Google’s Scam Detection Feature, Suggests APK Teardown
  4. BitBox Patches Security Flaws That Could Expose Wallets to Malicious Firmware
  5. ChatGPT for Teens Launches Globally With Study Mode, Parental Controls and Safety Features
  6. Oppo Find X10 Could Feature 6.59-Inch 1.5K Display With BT.2020 Colour Gamut
  7. Google to Reportedly End Pixel Phones, Watches and Earbuds Manufacturing in China from 2027; Might Expand Production in India, Vietnam
  8. Samsung Galaxy M17, Galaxy F17 Prices in India Hiked For Second Time in Six Months; Xiaomi Pad 8 Gets Expensive
  9. [Exclusive] Boat Said to be Developing Conversational AI Features for Its Audio Products
  10. CMF Buds Neo India Launch Date Confirmed, Design Revealed Ahead of Debut
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.