Huawei Phones Lose Bootleg Access to Google Apps

Huawei Mate 30 devices have lost their clearance to manually install Android apps.

Advertisement
By Vlad Savov, Bloomberg | Updated: 3 October 2019 11:36 IST
Highlights
  • Mate 30 Pro were able to manually download and install Google apps
  • Post revelations, the devices lost clearance to manually install the apps
  • No involvement with LZPlay: Huawei

One of Huawei Technologies's biggest trade war headaches has just gotten worse, as an unofficial workaround to the Trump administration ban on using Google apps and services has been quashed.

Security researcher John Wu published an illuminating post Tuesday that explained how users of Huawei's Mate 30 Pro were able to manually download and install Google apps, despite a US blacklisting that prohibits the Chinese company from using American components and software. The process allowed the Mate 30 Pro (along with the basic Mate 30) to run popular apps like Google Maps and Gmail that otherwise would not be permitted.

In the wake of Wu's revelations, the Mate 30 devices lost their clearance to manually install Android apps, as reported by a number of smartphone experts. Only Google is able to make that kind of change through what's known as its SafetyNet anti-abuse check.

Advertisement

"Although this 'backdoor' requires user interaction to be enabled, the installer app, which is signed with a special certificate from Huawei, was granted privileges nowhere to be found on standard Android systems," Wu wrote on Medium.

Advertisement

Google declined to comment for this story.

An easy-to-use app enabling the installation of Google apps and services on the Mate 30 Pro, called LZPlay, had emerged alongside the device's release, however, it has disappeared after Wu's posting. The researcher said in his findings that "it is pretty obvious that Huawei is well aware of this 'LZPlay' app, and explicitly allows its existence."

Advertisement

Huawei said in an emailed statement it has had no involvement with LZPlay.

Effectively, the change makes sure that the US ban on Google services for the Mate 30 Pro is ironclad -- and many of the users outside of China who might have obtained or imported the device will now have only the bare Android-based Huawei user experience.

Advertisement

At the heart of Huawei's problems is the Google Play Store, a system-level app that's part of Google's licensed bundle, which opens access to the full panoply of Android applications. With it on board, an Android device can more effectively compete with Apple's iPhone and App Store, equipped with globally popular apps like YouTube, Instagram, Netflix, and Spotify. Without it, no matter how great its specs and performance, an Android device is a tough sell for US or European customers. The US trade ban has been damaging to Huawei because it undercuts the company's ability to compete in the premium smartphone market in Europe, which had been one of its growth drivers.

Huawei doesn't have the same challenge in its native China because the government already bans most Google apps and services on all smartphones. Instead, Chinese users rely on Tencent Holdings's WeChat as the do-it-all super-app, plus a diversity of other sources for apps, games and entertainment, an ecosystem that's developed in Google's absence.

With the latest blow to the Mate 30 Pro, Huawei's prospects for global smartphone sales dim even further.

© 2019 Bloomberg LP

 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement
Popular Mobile Brands
  1. OTT Releases of the Week (Feb 16 - Feb 22): Know What to Watch This Weekend
  2. Here's When Xiaomi Will Launch the Xiaomi 17 and Xiaomi 17 Ultra Globally
  3. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased; Might Launch With This Chip
  4. Realme C83 5G Price Leaked; Here's How Much It May Cost in India
  5. Realme P4 Lite With 6,300mAh Battery Launched at This Price in India
  6. Xiaomi 17T, Xiaomi 17T Tipped to Launch Four Months Earlier Than Usual
  7. Xiaomi Teases a New Computing Device, New Tablet Expected to Launch Soon
  8. Vivo V70 Elite Review: Vivo's V-Series Goes 'Elite'
  9. Google Prevented 1.75 Million Policy-Violating Apps in 2025 on Android
  10. Google Launches Gemini 3.1 Pro; Pomelli Updated With Photoshoot Feature
  1. Poco X8 Pro, Poco X8 Pro Max Design and Colour Options Seen in Leaked Renders
  2. Xiaomi Teases India Launch of New Computing Device; New Tablet With Keyboard or Laptop Expected
  3. Realme C83 5G India Price, RAM and Storage Configurations Leaked Online
  4. Xiaomi 17 Series Global Launch Date Announced; Xiaomi 17, Xiaomi 17 Ultra Expected to Debut
  5. Google Blocked 266 Million Risky App Installs, Prevented 1.75 Million Policy-Violating Apps in 2025
  6. Motorola Edge 70 Fusion India Launch Teased on Flipkart; Leaked Marketing Image Hints at Snapdragon 7s Gen 4 SoC
  7. Google Releases Gemini 3.1 Pro With Ability to Execute Complex Tasks; Pomelli Gets New Photoshoot Feature
  8. Xiaomi 17T Pro, Xiaomi 17T Tipped to Launch Earlier Than Previously Expected, Chipset Details Leaked
  9. Google Chrome Updated With Split View, Built-In PDF Markup Tools, and More Features
  10. Realme P4 Lite Launched in India With 6,300mAh Battery, 13-Megapixel Camera: Price, Specifications
Gadgets 360 is available in
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.