Ukraine Says Russia Behind Cyberattack in 'Hybrid War' Move

Microsoft first reported that dozens of computer systems at Ukrainian government agencies had been infected with destructive malware.

Advertisement
By Associated Press | Updated: 17 January 2022 10:01 IST
Highlights
  • Attack comes as the threat of a Russian invasion of Ukraine looms
  • The affected systems span multiple government, non-profit organisations
  • In 2017, Russia targeted Ukraine with a damaging cyberattack

Microsoft said in a short blog post Saturday that it first detected the malware on Thursday

Ukraine said Sunday that Russia was behind a cyberattack that defaced its government websites and alleged that Russia is engaged in an increasing “hybrid war” against its neighbor.

The statement from the Ministry of Digital Development came a day after Microsoft said dozens of computer systems at an unspecified number of Ukrainian government agencies had been infected with destructive malware disguised as ransomware. That disclosure suggested the attention-grabbing defacement attack on official websites last week was a diversion.

“All evidence indicates that Russia is behind the cyberattack. Moscow continues to wage a hybrid war and is actively building up its forces in the information and cyberspaces,” the ministry statement said.

The attack comes as the threat of a Russian invasion of Ukraine looms and diplomatic talks to resolve the tense standoff appear stalled.

Advertisement

Microsoft said in a short blog post Saturday that it first detected the malware on Thursday. That would coincide with the attack that simultaneously took some 70 Ukrainian government websites temporarily offline.

Microsoft said in a different, technical post that the affected systems “span multiple government, non-profit, and information technology organisations.” It said it did not know how many more organisations in Ukraine or elsewhere might be affected but said it expected to learn of more infections.

Advertisement

On Sunday, US national security adviser Jake Sullivan said US and private-sector companies were still working to determine the source of the attacks. He said the United States has warned for months about the possibility of cyberattacks from Russia and has been working with Ukraine to improve that country's defenses.

“This is part of the Russian playbook,” he said on CBS television's “Face the Nation” programme.

Advertisement

A top private sector cybersecurity executive in Kyiv, Oleh Derevianko, told The Associated Press that the intruders penetrated the government networks through a shared software supplier in a supply-chain attack like the 2020 SolarWinds Russian cyberespionage campaign that targeted the US government.

In 2017, Russia targeted Ukraine with one of the most damaging cyberattacks on record with the NotPetya virus, causing more than $10 billion (roughly Rs. 74,150 crore) in damage globally. That virus, also disguised as ransomware, was a so-called “wiper” that erased entire networks.

In Friday's mass web defacement, a message left by the attackers claimed they had destroyed data and placed it online, which Ukrainian authorities said had not happened.

The message told Ukrainians to “be afraid and expect the worst.”


Why are Galaxy S21 FE and OnePlus 9RT launching now? We discuss this on Orbital, the Gadgets 360 podcast. Orbital is available on Spotify, Gaana, JioSaavn, Google Podcasts, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music and wherever you get your podcasts.
Affiliate links may be automatically generated - see our ethics statement for details.
 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Apple's Camera-Equipped AirPods Won't Launch in 2026 Despite Recent Leak
  2. Vivo's OriginOS 7 Leak Reveals New Glass Styles, Control Centre Tweaks
  3. Poco M8x 5G Will Launch in India in These Colour Options
  4. Samsung Galaxy S25 Price Increased by Up to Rs. 12,000
  5. Realme P4s 5G to Launch in India on August 26 With These Features
  6. Samsung Galaxy S26 Family to Get a New Member at August 27 Even
  1. Apple’s Camera-Equipped AirPods Reportedly Still on Track for 2027 Launch Despite Recent Video Leak
  2. Samsung Announces Galaxy Event for August 27 to Introduce ‘Newest Addition’ to Galaxy S26 Family
  3. PlayStation Pulse Elevate Wireless Speakers Price, Features Revealed Ahead of November 12 Launch
  4. Telegram Users Could Get Personalised .gram Domains if ICANN Approves
  5. Bybit Says It Prevented Over $700 Million in Losses After $1.46 Billion Hack
  6. Samsung Galaxy S25 Price Hiked in India by Up to Rs. 12,000: Here’s How Much It Costs Now
  7. Control Resonant's Physical Release Delayed to October as Game Goes Gold
  8. Vivo's Android-17 Based OriginOS 7 Could Get Liquid Glass UI and More Customisation Options
  9. Nexo Australia Begins Offering Credit Lines Against Cryptocurrency Collateral
  10. WhatsApp Could Soon Let You Expand Photos to 9:16 Format on Android Using Meta AI
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.