ZTE Petition to Reconsider US National Security Threat Designation Rejected by FCC

FCC announced in June that it had formally designated Huawei and ZTE as threats.

Advertisement
By Reuters | Updated: 25 November 2020 09:56 IST
Highlights
  • FCC was extending time to respond to Huawei's petition until December 11
  • Ajit Pai said the commission will take up two national security matters
  • FCC voted to deny a Chinese telecommunications company in May 2019

US President signed an order barring companies from using equipment by companies posing security risks

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) said on Tuesday it had rejected a petition from ZTE asking the agency to reconsider its decision designating the Chinese company as a US national security threat to communications networks.

The FCC announced in June it had formally designated Chinese's Huawei and ZTE as threats, a declaration that bars US firms from tapping an $8.3 billion (roughly Rs. 61,400 crores) government fund to purchase equipment from the companies.

Advertisement

ZTE did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Last week, the FCC said it was extending time frame to respond to Huawei's petition until December 11 "to fully and adequately consider the voluminous record."

Advertisement

In May 2019, President Donald Trump signed an executive order barring US companies from using telecommunications equipment made by companies posing national security risks and the administration added Huawei to its trade blacklist.

The FCC on December 10 will vote on rules to help carriers remove and replace equipment from companies posing security risks from networks.

Advertisement

FCC Chairman Ajit Pai said last week the commission will take up two unspecified national security matters at its December 10 meeting.

In April, the FCC disclosed it might shut down the US operations of three state-controlled Chinese telecommunications companies: China Telecom, China Unicom and Pacific Networks and its subsidiary ComNet (USA).

Advertisement

The nearly 20-year-old authorisations allow Chinese telecom companies to provide interconnection services for phone calls between the United States and other countries.

Last week, the FCC said it was reclaiming International Signaling Point Codes assigned to China Telecom (Americas), saying it had determined "the three codes are no longer in use." China Telecom did not immediately comment.

Last month, the FCC asked the Justice Department to weigh in on whether China Unicom's US operations pose security risks.

In May 2019, the FCC voted unanimously to deny another state-owned Chinese telecommunications company, China Mobile, the right to provide US services, citing concerns China could use the approval to conduct espionage against the US government.

© Thomson Reuters 2020


iPhone 12 Pro Series Is Amazing, but Why Is It So Expensive in India? We discussed this on Orbital, our weekly technology podcast, which you can subscribe to via Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, or RSS, download the episode, or just hit the play button below.

Affiliate links may be automatically generated - see our ethics statement for details.
 

Get your daily dose of tech news, reviews, and insights, in under 80 characters on Gadgets 360 Turbo. Connect with fellow tech lovers on our Forum. Follow us on X, Facebook, WhatsApp, Threads and Google News for instant updates. Catch all the action on our YouTube channel.

Further reading: ZTE, Huawei, FCC
Advertisement

Related Stories

Popular Mobile Brands
  1. Motorola Edge 70 Pro+ Confirmed to Launch in India Soon in These Shades
  2. Realme 16 Series and OnePlus 15R Become More Expensive in India
  3. Xiaomi 17 Max, Band 10 Pro Will Launch on This Date: See Expected Specs
  4. Realme 16T 5G Camera Specifications Confirmed Ahead of May 22 India Launch
  1. SpaceX Dragon Capsule Reaches ISS Carrying 6,500 Pounds of Supplies
  2. YouTube’s Likeness Detection Tool Is Now Available to All Adult Creators
  3. Vi Postpaid Users in India Can Choose New International Roaming Plans From Rs 649
  4. Red Magic 11S Pro, Red Magic 11S Pro+ Launched With Snapdragon 8 Elite Gen 5 Leading Edition SoC: Price, Specifications
  5. Satrangi: Badle Ka Khel OTT Release Date Revealed: Know Everything About Plot, Cast, and More
  6. Prasanth Pandiyaraj’s Warrant OTT Release Details Revealed: Know When and Where to Watch it Online
  7. Realme 16T 5G Camera Specifications Confirmed Ahead of May 22 India Launch
  8. Realme 16 Series Gets Price Hike in India; OnePlus, Poco and Lava Also Revise Rates
  9. Verus Ethereum Bridge Reportedly Suffers from $11.5 Million DeFi Hack
  10. The Travellers Now Streaming on Netflix: Know Everything About This Australian Drama Film
Download Our Apps
Available in Hindi
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2026. All rights reserved.